Kabuki Music Score?

Hello! I’m teaching a crash course in Kabuki Theatre this year to 7th graders. As part of my curriculum, we are taking a look at the Shamisen, and I would LOVE to teach them 8-16 bars of a traditional Kabuki piece (I’m thinking of Echigo Lion or Maiden at the Dojo Temple).

Do any of you have these pieces written out in a beginner format that I could have a look at? Thank you!

-W

Hello Whitney! You may want to ask my nagauta teacher, Mary Ohno. She started the Kabuki Academy in Seattle and teaches students over Skype too(I’m one of her skype students) Also you might want to start with Matsu no Midori instead because Echigo Jishi and Musume Dojoji are for more advanced beginners.
Mary Sensei’s website is this:

http://www.kabukiacademy.org/

Best!
Sara

I’m also a student of Mary Ohno. I agree with Sara about the songs. Matsu no Midori is a good beginning one. Even Sakura Sakura would be even more beginner.

Hi!
But I think Sakura Sakura isn’t a kabuki song…

Agreed, but I think Tina was thinking of an easy song to introduce students to the music. If you pick up a violin for the first time, you won’t be playing Minuet in G, but probably twinkle twinkle.

Yes, I know… But, I mean, it’s a kabuki master, no?

She’s trying to teach 7th graders how to play the shamisen as a crash course to what kabuki is. I think playing a hard piece would be more frustrating and not fun for kids but just my opinion. I may be wrong but I don’t think this is a several week course and playing the shamisen is just a small part to it?

Hi all!
Thank you so much for your responses. I have contacted Ms. Onho, and for now, I’ll be teaching from the Crash Course Shamisen videos on this site. You are correct-very little time on Kabuki, even less time for Shamisen unfortunately. But, the kids will know more than they did before, and have an appreciation for the music (we will be listening and watching a lot of the professionals).

Thanks again!

OK, I thought it was a kauki course, but only a nagauta-shamisen course… excuse me…
Anyway, videos are appreciated :slight_smile: