kind of strings

Hello everybody
I had bought a jiuta shamisen two weeks ago and now the ni no ito is broken.-.-
Now i have a question: what kind of strings can i use for my jiuta shamisen?
I only found strings for nagauta and tsugaru shamisen.

Thanks for answering and sorry for my bad english^^

Hello Kuro San! Welcome to Bachido!

Normally, Jiuta strings use all silk strings for concerts, but for practice you can use a ‘nylon’ or ‘tetron’ san-no-ito.

I think the sizes for Jiuta are 14-1 (ichi-no-ito), 14-2 (ni-no-ito), and 14-3 (san-no-ito). Nagauta uses 15-1, 13-2, 13-3. I don’t think it will be too much of a problem to use Nagauta strings if you cannot find the correct Jiuta strings, but if you can find a Shamisen store and just say you need Jiuta strings, they will be able to help you! ^^

Good luck!

Hi kuro,

I have a jiuta shamisen and I have used nagauta, jiuta and Tsugaru strings, they all worked fine, just depends what sound you want. I don’t know if the thick Tsugaru ones warp the thinner neck over time, I shouldn’t have said that, my Sao will warp now :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Kuro san,

Welcome to Bachido! (Ah, Joseph beat me to it :wink: )

First off, I have to say that your English is great! It’s better than my English sometimes. (I’m serious)

I’m pretty sure Masahiro will be able to get a set of ito specifically for jiuta shamisen, if that is the tone you want. As Joseph and Liam said, Nagauta ito wouldn’t be a problem, as they’re pretty close. (You’d probably notice more difference switching to tsugaru ito though)

Thank you all for the answers^^
They had helped me a lot. In the next time i
will order some new strings.
I had made a knot in the broken ni no ito and it works ok but it sounds a bit wrong.
And thanks for the compliment Kyle. I m from germany and its reassuring to hear that my english is good. :smiley:

Welcome fellow European :slight_smile:

Welcome to Bachido! Your english is perfect (yes, it’s better than Kyle’s) and we are happy to have you here!
Never be afraid to ask for advice or any specific questions!

Welcome Kuro!
Good luck finding the right string!

Hello, Kuro san! I am so happy to have another Japanese shamisen player on Bachido. Can you let me know your name in Kanji letters?
Mine is 千賀京子です。はじめまして(^O^)/

Wilkommen Uzumaki-san

Sorry Kyoko-san, I have to disappoint you°.°"
I m from germany^^(mother sweden,father german). Kuro(is one of my favourite colours) Uzumaki(naruto is my favourite anime) is my pseudonym. My real name is Sam Augustsson :slight_smile:
But sometimes I wish I were a Japanese ;D
I m learning Japanese since 2 years but I m not so good. ^,^
I hope we can get known each other although I m not a Japanese. :smiley:
Hopfully you are not too disappointed.

Hello, Kuro san. I am not disappointed at all! And thank you for using your pseudonym that sounds like a Japanese.
It is nice to know Japanese anime appealed to you.

Kyoko… lol did you not notice my family name
中村ですよ(^_-)

I think there are several members of Bachido who are either Japanese, half, bi-lingual, living with a Japanese family, or at least living in Japan (^-^)

中村さん(^O^)/. Of course I noticed it is our familiar Japanese name! I am always happy to see you are joining in Bachido.