Koji Yamaguchi Tsugaru Shamisen Ensemble in Toronto Tuesday Nov. 5

I’ve been meaning to put this up here for a while, but better late than never, I guess. There is a relatively rare Tsugaru shamisen concert in Toronto this Tuesday at the Japan Canadian Cultural Centre.

Here’s a blurb from their website:
Shamisen star Koji Yamaguchi will bring his thrilling 10 person ensemble the Kobayashi Hall for a concert to connect Japanese and Canadians through a musical and cultural bridge on Tuesday November 5, 2013.

The Tsugaru Shamisen is a traditional instrument with roots in Aomori Prefecture and has a very unique and exciting sound and style. The concert will feature traditional shamisen pieces and even a rendition of “Oh, Canada.” Tsugaru Shamisen has been called the “music of the Japanese soul” and will certainly move and fascinate Canadian audiences.

Yamaguchi-san’s grandmother was a shamisen teacher and it was under her influence that he has become a performer celebrated not only in Japan but also internationally. Yamaguchi-san has been the recipient of numerous awards throughout Japan. He is also a member of the famous shamisen group “Hayate”, along with Kenichi Yoshida, producer of international superstar duo the Yoshida Brothers.

More details at:

http://jccc.on.ca/event/tsugaru-shamisen-performance/

Hey Gerry! Man I wish I could’ve seen it! Was it recorded, by chance?

God!!! Thanks for posting this, Gerry! Koji is my Tsugaru shamisen teacher and thankfully he is so generous and open minded to say "go for the Bachido performance at the Hirosaki Taikai " for my joining it when I asked his permission. I am so proud of being one of his students, and though being so young at the age of 25, he is doing so fine as a very active professional player.

I meant to follow up on this earlier, but got busy. It was a good show, and there was a big turnout - I saw Linda and Aki there too, but I don’t know if anyone else from the site made it out.
Kyle, there was a ‘no photography’ rule at the show, so there probably isn’t any footage around yet. The JCCC, where it was held, usually films these things, so there may be some clips on their website at some point.
Kyoko, I was wondering if you knew him, since he is based in Nagoya. I spoke with him and his group a lot the day before the event at a workshop they held, which was a lot of fun. I was quite impressed by him. Besides playing great Tsugaru shamisen, he’s a showman, and did a good job entertaining the audience between songs - which is not something that can be said for all Tsugaru performers. Please tell him I say ‘yoroshiku’ next time you see him!

Gerry: I’m sure to tell Koji Yamaguchi "yoro shiku " from you and how much you were impressed and so on next Tuesday at the lesson.
Kyle: let me ask him if he can do anything about his video in Toronto. He must be happy to hear Bachido is interested in Koji Yamaguchi(^o^)