koma materials

So I have been experimenting with making koma(s) out of non-traditional material, most recently i made one with ebony the sound is very thick and vibrant . Has anyone else done this?

pictures coming soon!!!

Oh,well,with a sanshin, the traditional bamboo uma(Koma) is simple,and there is a different one,that is ebony.

The ebony one sounds thick.

i’m waiting on getting mine so i can make a matching horn one to go with the bachi i’m making

Interesting! I wonder if it will sound like a kouki koma.

Let’s hear it! :slight_smile:

I’ve been meaning to make a koma with an aluminum saddle. Full aluminum koma have been made, but apperantely sound very “banjo-like” (too sharp). So a half bamboo half alumi combo might sound decent.

Interesting! I wonder if it will sound like a kouki koma.

Let’s hear it! :slight_smile:

I’ve been meaning to make a koma with an aluminum saddle. Full aluminum koma have been made, but apperantely sound very “banjo-like” (too sharp). So a half bamboo half alumi combo might sound decent.

Kyle,does the hardness of the wood change the tone,because ebony is very hard,but softer than kouki. (only some species)

PS: I discovered that one of the hardest woods can be find in Brazil (janka:4800) I think that collecting it is prohibited right now.

I’m gonna plant it today,if i wait some years,and then some more years i think the wood will be nice to make a shamisen :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh nevermind,i may buy one :stuck_out_tongue:

This is it

{Schinopsis brasiliensis} 4800

Kyle,does the hardness of the wood change the tone,because ebony is very hard,but softer than kouki. (only some species)

Basically, yes. The difference in sound is more subtle than if it were compared to bamboo/take koma, but tonal differences are noticeable when comparing two hardwood koma - snakewood and kouki, for instance.

PS: I discovered that one of the hardest woods can be find in Brazil (janka:4800) I think that collecting it is prohibited right now.

One has to be careful with the super-hard, south american trees. As you may know, I made a whole tsugaru shamisen out of Ipe wood, as it was the hardest wood I’d be able to acquire. After I made it, I discovered that hardwoods like that have so much oil in them, glued joints will eventually fail. :frowning:

Lesson learned - ‘harder wood does not equal better results’… at least, not when it comes to musical instruments.

okay that would be the most awesome idea ever :slight_smile: I mean planting your own wood for later use for shamisen . . . way to go I guess . . . :slight_smile:

Just like the Australian man, Australian woods are VERY tough, the Australian Buloke or Bull-Oak has a Janka hardness of 5060 :slight_smile:

I can not find any bamboo (midake) to make my koma. What is the next best thing to make it from?

Ahh!! Tried to make my first koma today. Got a serious case of perfection disorder and lost patience with it in the end as the intricate detail I was looking for was impossible to achieve and it kept getting smaller and smaller!!! Think I may be making a purchase from the Bachido store soon!

Not having any solid bamboo, I made a couple of komas out of African Padauk, the same wood I used for the instrument. They seem to work fine. I just received a block of bamboo from Nitta-san, so I can find out if I can tell the difference.

Since solid bamboo can be hard to come by I just stop by the local grocery store and look through all their bamboo cutting boards, tongs, spoons, etc. and just buy what ever looks right to make something out of. I can’t comment on the sound quality until I finish my shamisen though.