Learning from the Gottan

I have a question about the playing technique/style for the gottan vs the shamisen. Currently, I can’t afford to pick up a good beginner shamisen, but I’m still very interested in learning. From reading around the Internet (and this wonderful site) the cheaper options are the kankara and the gottan. The gottan sounds and looks more similar to the shamisen so I’m more drawn to purchasing or making one of those.

My thought process is that I start playing on a gottan and learn proper technique so that when I can afford a proper shamisen, the skills I’ve learned will still apply. My concern is that in all the videos of people playing gottan I’ve seen, they’re using guitar picks or fingers.

Can/do you play the gottan the same way or because of the wood vs skin head is the playing technique different? Should I be more concerned about the bachi striking the wood? What is the size different in typical gottan to shamisen? Is there another option and am I over thinking this (hint: probably)?

Thank you.

I’ve played Gottan as well and although it is indeed just like a Shamisen it is still quite a different and unique playing experience onto itself. The string relationship is the same so you can play much of the same melodic stuff but because it is a different instrument you will most likely need time to adjust to a Shamisen if or when you do make the switch.
It would be the equivalent of if you had a classical guitar without the higher two strings (=four stringed classical guitar) and then suddenly switched to an electric bass guitar. You’d notice it’s the same string relationship but an entirely different beast all together! Etc…

Welcome to Bachido, Joel! Glad to have you here!

Just making my greetings. I agree with what Kevin says. You can play shamisen with bachi and learn the same techniques, it will just be a different feeling. Not that one is better than the other, just different. :slight_smile:

Kevin, your explanation of switching from classical guitar to bass is fantastic. That really explains a lot and also makes me think that starting with the Gottan would work. Thanks.

In regards to the bachi, should I use a different or specific type on the Gottan? Can the lessons from the site and Kyle’s book be applied to the Gottan as well?

I’ve also come across someone with a nagauta shamisen for sale. From listening to different shamisen I’ve found I lean towards the tsugaru shamisen. Though I’ll be happy with what ever type of shamisen I can get at a price I can afford. For what I’m looking for, what that make more sense?

Sorry for the flurry of questions. Just want to make sure I make the right purchase.

1 Like

Hi Joel,

Any bachi will work for the gottan. Faux bekkou bachi is nice, as it has some flexibility, but anything is fine. No need to go outside of what you can afford.

Though I’ll be happy with what ever type of shamisen I can get at a price I can afford. For what I’m looking for, what that make more sense?

Even if you are particularly interested in the tsugaru shamisen, I would say to get any shamisen you can afford now. The most important thing is to just get started with shamisen and getting comfortable. You can always upgrade later. Several of us (Adrian, Ortjo, Sid, myself, etc) originally started playing tsugaru pieces on nagauta shamisen before we finally upgraded to tsugaru shamisen.
So, yes. I’d say getting the nagauta shamisen would be the best course of action for now. As you build up cash for the full size tsugaru shamisen, you’ll be building technique with the nagauta shamisen. Once you get your tsugaru shamisen, you’ll be wielding it confidently with skillz! :slight_smile:

Amazing to me