Looking for a shamisen/Japanese music store in New York City

Hi, Bachido! I need some help here.

I live in New York. The so-called “Great American Melting Pot.” Even with all this culture, I can’t seem to find a store that sells sheet music or instrument parts anywhere!

I went to the city today with some friends. I went to Chinatown and Koreatown (I wanted to go to Little Tokyo, but it wasn’t close enough.) I went into a lot of stores, and at every one I asked the same question: Do you have anything on the shamisen? Do you know where I can find something like that?

All answers turned up no. I’m out of options. I’m not hard pressed to find a store, it’s not like my life’s work or something. I just want to put it out into the shamisen world before I stop looking.

So, the question is: Does anyone know of a store in New York City (anywhere, seriously) that sells shamisen, shamisen parts, sheet music, or oriental music in general? Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thank you!

~Matsubusa.

1 Like

It seems in the United States it is like pulling teeth to find what you are looking for. I have been using the internet as there are places to find charts for the music. I was doing the same search for an insturment, parts and accessories and was told by several people it was just nor “worth it” to have a store in the States…

2 Likes

Ah, I understand. I’ve used the internet too. The problem is that I can’t read western sheet music. I think I’ve exhausted all the tablature I can find. But thank you anyway!

~Matsubusa

1 Like