Loose ni no ito Itomaki

Hey guys!

I have a problem with my Itomaki. When I play and tune the shamisen in “ni agari”, I find some problems when switching from “ni agari” to “honchoushi” and then back again.
I think the problem is that the Itomaki may be too loose. I tried putting some Rosin on the tip and inside both holes, but it doesn’t work so well.

What do you think I can do?

Thanks in advance!
Paolo

Hello.
In Japan they usually apply indian ink to itomaki and holes for instant repair, and that seems work a bit.
But I think it is the best to ask a shamisen shop to repar or adjust itomaki.

Thank you.
What do you mean “indian ink” ?

This is the black ink used for eastern traditional calligraphy. It’s called bokuju(墨汁) in Japan.

Maybe instead of resin, you could try a little (!) chalk? Chalk is widely used for Lutes and violas, to keep the tuning cones from slipping.

Is the bokuju/indian ink the same, that is used for sumi-e? I know there are readily bottled and fluid types of ink and the ones you have to “scrape” and mix with water.

Yes. It’s same as the one used for sumi-e, and also liquid type and solid type mixed into water are the same.

I never heard of chalk method. It’s useful information!

A I see, then I could try this maybe one time. my first itomaki tends to slip too from time to time and I don’t want to apply too much thumb pressure while tuning.

well, chalk is still widely used by some people but can be a bit messy if not done right, since the fine particles can mess up an instruments finish.

I had a similar problem on my old sanshin where the pegs kept slipping. My teacher told me the best way to fix that is pour a little beer on it and stick it back in lol. Never tried it but if you happen to be drinking and playing Shamisen maybe try it. I’m sure if it works for sanshin it will also work for shamisen.

That actually sounds like really bad advice. Seriously, I played with a few metal bands years ago and I learned soon enough that beer/alcohol on instruments is a sheer nightmare. My basement was a graveyard of broken/corroded potentiometers and mechanics.

Applying this, even a little, on a Itomaki could possibly corrode the zagane or little fluid could get absorbed by the wood where the zagane is inserted, because sometimes there in no lacquer applied there. This would cause damage to the wood.

Ah I am sorry about that it was information passed onto me that I didn’t realize was bad. OP please disregard my previous post then.