Making a bachi from a hair clip

I did some research and found out that most hair clips were made from cellulose acetate. I could not resist making a bachi from it. Well, it wasn´t easy and I made plenty of mistakes along but it was fun and the result is ok :)))

After boiling and flattening, time to mark out the shape.
IMG_1185m

Melting the edges in acetone and putting them together. I actually came out pretty nice! I read that it takes 24h to dry and harden, but I guess it depends on the thickness of the material.

Cutting the bottom part in half. It takes a lot of concentration and patience. I must admit, both were gone after sawing and moving at a 1mm/10min rate… (see pic at the end, what happened)

I shaped a piece of birch wood. Glueing the pieces together. Since I don´t have any good clamps, I had to improvise a bit.

Taking the bachi from the clamping. Further shaping, sanding…

After sanding, buffing with a cotton pad and acetone to give it a shine.
IMG_1406m

Finished. Looks nice although good only for practice :blush:

And now the bloopers…
If you don´t concentrate enough this can happen while trying to saw a 2.5mm sheet in half - sawing through on one side.
IMG_1215m

Unfortunately, after this, I had to deal with one side being thinner and prone to cracking and creating all sorts of unwanted shapes :crazy_face:
IMG_1390m IMG_1391m

Hopefully, next time it will come out better! :blush:
Have fun building and experimenting!

1 Like

Cool! Looks amazing even having some issues!
I am sure the next one going to be perfect :sunglasses:
As for cutting 2.5 mm sheet in the middle, I wonder if heated wire would do the trick better, like the one used to cut rigid and soft foam.

1 Like

Hello Alexey!
Thanks! Yes, there is plenty to work on. Ah, the heated wire - that would make sense! I recently saw a video of how cellulose acetate sheets are made and they did slice them on a heated machine. I should definitely try that :slight_smile: