March 10: Nitta san playing in SanFran!

A very special treat for those living in the bay area of California. Masahiro Nitta will be preforming in San Francisco on March 10th with many fabulous artists (including Michael Sasaki of Coldplay fame!) What’s more, he will be leading a workshop in San Jose on the day before! (More details coming up!)

Now for the official version:

Sunday March 10, 2013 4:00 pm
Old First Concerts
1751 Sacramento
(at Van Ness)
San Francisco

Purchase tickets here! - http://www.oldfirstconcerts.org/performances/

Some of the best musicians in their fields will be getting together to bring you music that you won’t find anywhere else! Young master Masahiro Nitta from Japan will dazzle with his lightening fast tsugaru shamisen. Joining him will be the fantastic musicians of the Murasaki Ensemble: Vince Delgado on Arabic percussion, Matt Eakle on silver “big wind” flute, Jeff Massanari on smooth groovin’ guitar, Alex Baum on his crazy string bass, led by this year’s Bunka (Japanese cultural) Hall of Famer Shirley Muramoto; the equally amazing Kyle Abbott, director of Bachido.com, also on tsugaru shamisen; Michael Sasaki on funk rock guitar from the groups Cold Blood and Hiroshima; Karl Young on
the beautiful and meditative shakuhachi (bamboo flute); and Brian Mitsuhiro Wong playing his exquisite koto stylings. This concert will bring the best music of the East and West in one place, one time! Don’t miss it!

NIIIIICE

Wow sounds epic. Unfortunately I’m kind of far away :slight_smile:

Yeah ditto Karl :stuck_out_tongue: i feel ya

How I wish I were in San Jose! I once was there 34 years ago.

Damn pacific ocean…so vast! Wish I could go

So stoked. This is going to baws.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

BOOM 1 TICKET BOUGHT

OMG, I can even walk to the place! I am so totally coming!

The Shakuhachi player, Karl-san actually had played with us as a special guest several times.

I am looking forward to it!!

Nicholas: Awesome!!! It’ll be great to finally meet you! (and to see if you look that similar to Colbert :wink: )

Sea Shamisen: Oh snap! I think Karl Young has mentioned your group to me via email. Does he play Kuroishi Yosare and Ajigasawa Bushi with your group?

Today, I had the great pleasure of meeting with Brian Mitsuhito Wong for the first time. Having started koto at age 4, he’s a stellar koto player! He’s also experienced with shamisen (jiuta) and shakuhachi, so it was very nice to try playing those pieces again in a san kyoku format.

Blog footage was taken! :slight_smile:

By the way, there was an event “visit Japan” in San Francisco. NHK TV showed us tonight Taiko and other Japanese instruments.
Sorry I missed the main part washing the dishes.

Hi, Kyle san!

I’ve never played those songs with or without Karl-san. (Still haven’t practiced them.) But I’ve been in the group for 4- 5 years, so they might have played those songs with him in the past.

I already posted our video, but I am posting it again, for a little advertisement… hehee. Karl-san is playing Shakuhachi here!

Shemisen Hideki-kai video clips.

http://blip.tv/community-media-center-of-marin-cmcm/hidekomusic-5897762

S

Ahh… he must have been referring to a different group then.

I wonder if Hideki-kai played at the Santa Cruz JFC a few years ago? They seem familiar.

Well, at least I have never participated in SC festival, and have not heard of our group being there. But again, I’ve been with them only for 4-5 years, so I don’t know. I will ask my Sensei next time I see her.

For Sure, we will be performing for Sakura-matsuri in J-town SF on 4/13, and Cupertino in late April. I will post details once I know more.

For now, I am looking forward to your concert in March!