Metal inside the Dou?

Hey guys,

I tried to apply some strap holders to my shamisen, as seen in the bachido blogcast. I though it was easy going, since I did that before to other instruments.

The first drillhole turned out very smooth, no splitting, everything fine.

But the second hole between the neo and the edge of the dokake didn’t go too well. I drilled and drilled (new Bosch drillheads btw.) and suddenly, the drillhead gripped tight and instead of reddish wood dust, some long aluminum (?) splinters came out.
The is NO damage on the drill and when I shine some light in the hole, I see something metallic. So, what the hell is inside my dou and am I beyond saving? (Since the Dou is Wood, Glue and Skin only…)

so the metal fitting of the rear exit hole may go further inside the dou with spikes that are folded over against the inside wall of the wood to hold the thing in place - could it be you just nicked one of those spikes if yes I guess it there should be no serious problem . . .

I see, thanks for your reply. I didn’t know there was an additional fitting attached to it, inside the dou.

Been playing the last to days and gladly, the sound quality hasn’t changed at all. (No unwanted buzzig or other things)