Mid-Concert Shamisen String Breakage!

In October 2014, I had the pleasure to join the amazing Ronin Taiko in their concert, ‘Kon Jo’. In previous years, I would always do a solo Jonkara Bushi piece. This year, Roy (leader of Ronin Taiko) suggested that we try arranging a Shamisen/Taiko duet.

Though I’m fond of my solo Jonkara piece, it’s always worth trying something new. None of us knew that the new arrangement would be so necessary this year!

The day before the concert, I changed all my strings to be safe. The next day, I practiced a bit backstage, only for the brand new san no ito to snap within five minutes! Not very reassuring…

So I got a new san no ito, restrung it and played a bit. It seemed to hold. Jump ahead an hour later, the new string breaks again during sound check!

With showtime only two hours later, there’s nothing really to do but hope for the best.

Yes, the string broke yet again… mid-song! What happened? Watch to find out! (2:20)

You’re getting used to this now! Awesome job! The crowd got some entertainment for sure.

That was smooth bro!

I have to add that… The second half medley piece was probably the most awesome thing ever in the whole history of planet earth! Really cool ! Kyle has blossomed into the coolest Shamisen performer ever! Heck yeah!

Very smooth indeed! And I was not expecting to hear Dueling Banjos afterward… LOL…

I know! Starting from dueling banjos is when it goes from Awesome to Super Awesome! Somehow I imagine this vid being played 100 years or more in the future and people being just as entertained as they are today!

You’re getting used to this now! Awesome job! The crowd got some entertainment for sure.

Thanks! This is the first time I’ve been thankful for the itomaki being wrapped with so much excess string. :stuck_out_tongue: I just hope the same thing doesn’t happen with the skin! Not sure how I could get out of that one. (Too bad the dou can’t be turned around!)

Kevin, oh man, taiko made Wipeout and Miserlou super legit! I’ll take the “spontaneous shamisen performer ever”, but “coolest shamisen performance ever” award goes to you, Kevin “Rock Wizard” Kmetz!

After all, how can this moment ever be topped?

Ahahaha!! So many missions should have been completed!
Keven, you sure know how to rock! I just wish Adrian and I had more to contribute!!
What a true bro! The night we REALLY learned Kevin’s policy.