My Daughter makes her music composition debut !

Hey Bachido people! I’d like to introduce to you all my daughter Sofie. Featured in the newest video on this channel. Click here to watch her playing her original music on piano while also reciting some of her profound original poetry. Also be sure to scroll down to some of my Shamisen videos (have to include the rest of the channel just to keep this topic Shamisen-related!) anyway right here…
www.youtube.com/shamikami

Wow!! First look at the heir of Kmetz rocking!!
I don’t know if it’s just me… (after all, it is a bit late here and I’ve just eaten some cake) but doesn’t she sound really good? I mean, consistent! With the timing she had and the tones she used, it really felt like a spooky music score from a crypt or something! I dunno, to me, it didn’t feel like she was hammering away at random notes. I think this was truly a Sofie Kmetz original!!!

This is awesome, Kevin!! I’m looking forward to seeing more videos of her musicianship over the months/years! :slight_smile:

On another note, Kyoko-san told me you were recently on TV playing shamisen with a TV personality! Is there any way at all we can check that out?? I’m sure all of us in Bachido and the whole wide universe would love to see that!! (Am I right, BH??)

Thanks Kyle. The sad tragedy for me is that earlier she was actually astonishing me by exploring the piano with such a remarkable compositional sense and focus. By the time I was able to grab a camera and sit her down again a lot of the original momentum had sort of faded. But I’m still proud of how she seems really into it for a few minutes at least.

Oh that’s right NHK recently did a re-run of a TV thing I did about a year ago. Anni from Shami camp Tokyo was in there as well. I didn’t get the info on when it would be on so I missed it but I do have footage from the original time it aired. I’ll bring it this April!

Typical rocker - she trashed the hotel room, too. Baby Black Keys (Sofie’s stage name) rules!!

Haha. It’s true. The mess on the floor is all her!

Fitting she’d be playing on a Kawai, because this is just so kawaii. :smiley:

It must be an incredible feeling as a father and musician to hear your child making music. I think that’s one of the things I’m looking forward to the most about having children someday.

Indeed Kyle (and Kyle) and yeah I also found Sofie’s playing awesome . . . as for me it was early morning and before I had finished a first coffee when I also thought this even seems to have some timing throughout and anyway I really enjoyed listening to her playing :slight_smile:

I loved introducing my kids to music and instruments as infants. They always looked like every new sound that was produced blew their mind followed by laughter and frantic playing. Now I’ve got boys that take music lessons. My how times change. Congrats on the tiny musician.

Speaking of babies and shamisen, know any good shamisen lullabies?

Joel, one of my favorites to play on the kokyu is Hama Chidori. I’m sure it would translate to the shamisen well, too. Unfortunately there’s not a shamisen recording on youtube, but here’s a really fantastic guitar cover of it.

And an Ocarina version that’s closer to the lullaby sound.