My mom’s 1920’s shamisen

My mother took shamisen in Los Angeles as a child in the 1920’s. Would you be able to use parts of her (damaged) shamisen? I don’t want any payment, except perhaps shipping costs, but would just feel good if someone could make use of it. I can post only one photo as a new member.

2 Likes

This sounds very interesting. I would definitely love to see this maybe direct message me?

~Matsubusa

I hope this is a direct message, I’m unfamiliar with these sites. I tried to attach more photos, but am limited to only one per message. I could send one at a time then.

What a lovely shamisen! That poor tenjin. There is definitely still some potential with this beauty. I love the doukake (the dou cover). Is the skin broken? Even still, this seems to be in great condition for the supposed age!

This definitely intrigued me seeing this post. I’ve fixed a few shamisen. I’m wondering if perhaps I can fix the tenjin.

Please, contact my email, meepa7712@gmail.com, It’ll be easier than the forum posting. I’d love to possibly take this off your hands! I’d gladly pay for shipping. I’m in New York.

~Matsubusa

Dear Debbie,
I am a retired theoretical physicist who loves music and making and experimenting with musical instruments. My previous construction was an ancient Basset Horn (hope the uploaded picture below will appear) and I am planning to start making a Shamisen. I thought perhaps it would be simpler to fix your Mother’s nice instrument and learn to play it. I am in Brazil and could pay for the shipping costs, if it is still available.
Please contact me at marcosduartemaia@gmail.com or maia@unb.br

with thanks for your attention,

Marcos!

bassetaugust|375x500

I think this is the tenjin you are referring to. It does still fit into the “handle”, but falls off. The skin is torn, which I guess to be expected after all these years, sitting unplayed.
If you think you can make use of this shamisen or it’s parts and would pay for shipping, I will send it to you. I just don’t want it to go to waste.
If you are not interested to that degree, there is another Bacchido member who wants to start learning and thinks he might be able to repair it and use as a beginner.

1 Like

Oops sorry, pressed send too early.
Thank you for your interest and let me know if I should plan on sending it to you.
Debbie

1 Like

Sorry I am having a heck of a time just trying to send 2 photos! Will only allow me one. Hopefully this will go through.

Hello Marcos,
What a beautiful instrument (do you play?)! (And the dog is a beauty too)

There is just one person ahead if you who has expressed some interest, but not yet requested that I send it. I will let you know as soon as I hear back.
Debbie

I would love to take this off of your hands. Where shall I contact you to discuss payment?

~Matsu

If I respond here with my email and phone, is this seen by more than just you?

1 Like

Yes. I tagged my email above, you can email me there and only I will see it. I’ll write it again for you.

Meepa7712@gmail.com

~Matsubusa

Thanks Debbie,

Well, I really cannot say I play the basset horn. Noises would be more appropriate to say. I took it once to the music school here at the University and some colleagues tried some music. It is an ancient model with a different scale. I bought the plans from a museum of musical instruments at Cambridge University (UK). I also have a complete workshop and I believe your mother (did you say she used it in the 1920’s?) would be happy to see the Shamisen repaired, of course with the help and approval of the Bachido Community.

with my best regards,

Marcos

Dear Debbie,

Sorry I forgot to respond your previous comment about my beagle Lucky. A really nice companion! Thanks.

Please use my private mail marcosduartemaia@gmail.com so that we may negotiate a more favorable condition to you.

marcos

1 Like

Dear Marcos,
I’m afraid the first responder did decide to take the shamisen, with an intention to restore and play.
I thank you for your interest and hope that you are able to pursue your desire to play the shamisen. I myself sadly never learned, but did study the koto, and still try to practice with friends.
Pet Lucky for me,
Debbie

1 Like

Dear Debbie, With sadness I received the news.
Marcos

To be honest if i were you, i would keep it and restore it, would be a wonderful family treasure.