Need a review

Hello,

I’m new on this forum, and I joined because I’m interested in Shamisen.
I already play music (bass, guitar and ukulele : strings).

I was surfing on the internet when I found an instrument that seems really good. But I’m not an expert and I wanted a review from confirmed Shamisen players.

I have some pictures the sellers sent to me : http://imgur.com/a/qvSQg

It seems the used wood is kokutan (ebony?). Is this a good instrument? The seller said that it measures 97cm long, isn’t it short for a Shamisen?

Thank you for your review !

Hi Nicolas. It looks like a good shitan (indian rosewood) or kouki (red sandalwood) nagauta (maybe kouta) shamisen. The dou seems very beautiful with his “bull’s eye” ring pattern. I can’t see the itomaki (is it ivory or white synthetic). I don’t see ebony anywhere. 97 cm are an average length for a hosozao. Do you have all the other measurements (dou, sao thickness, etc) ? I think it’s a very beautiful shamisen, but everything depens on the price. Welcome from a french collegue !

Hi Patrick.

(Je vais répondre en Anglais pour que tous les visiteurs puissent comprendre, mais je suis heureux de voir des collègues Français)

I don’t have all the other measurements, but I can easilly ask it to the seller if you can say me which measurements are important !

I have no details concerning the itomaki. I only know there’s some ivory on this shamisen but don’t know where.

The price is 605€.

Anyway, thank you for your answer.

Things that can increase the value are : sao thickness and wood (shitan or kouki), ayasugi or not inside the dou, dou size, ivory or synthetic itomaki, condition of the sao…

Hi Nicholas! Welcome to Bachido!

Wow, that is a very beautiful shamisen. I’m very sure that’s kouki wood. Judging from the quality of the kouki and the quality of the dou, I wouldn’t be surprised if those were ivory itomaki and ayasugi inside.

As Patrick says, the length seems about right for that style of shamisen. :slight_smile:

Is the stain on the skin typical (from playing)? Looks like the doukake used was quite shallow at least, not that it matters anything :slight_smile:

I think it looks really nice! As mentioned though it is Definately not the large full scale Shamisen used for styles such as Tsugaru (which is the most common style for Rock, jazz, techno modern fusion etc.)
But it will surely get you on the Shami-path. Welcome to Bachido.