Need some tips/advise

Ive completed the crash course and learned Sakura and currently working on a 3rd song. I fumble notes here and there still but ive only been playing a couple months. I also still hit the wrong string somtimes if im not looking at where im striking. My goal is to learn Jonkara bushi but i know im not at that level yet any songs you guys would recommend to help me get there would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi there.

Jongara has many forms, but in its most basic variation it can be tackled as soon as one can perform the root techniques of tataki, sukui, and hajiki.

Why not try Rokudan? The crash-course is intended to give you the fundamental repertoire necessary to play it (and other variants).

2 Likes

that will be my next song to work on thank you!

I have the same problem

I started a month ago end every time I look a some video of people playing the don’t look at the hand holding the nacho bet the look at the note they’re playing with their left han

I still can’t figure out how they do because I have a hard time sticking the good sting when I don’t look my right hands

I thought it was the angle of the hand but I’m not sure anymore

1 Like

Hi there, welcome.

You’ll find some people look at nothing when they play :p. It’s all getting used to your instrument.

The way you hold a bachi an how you strike depends on the genre. The angle is important. The grip is important. Your posture is important !

What kind of shamisen do you have? What kind of music are you trying to play?

2 Likes

My tip: just practice and study and practice and study.
I play nagauta and after 3 years I often need to look at where I put my left hand on the sao, but not like in earlier times when I ALWAYS needed to look at the sao.
In these period I slowly removed the fujaku, the strip with the numbers on the side of the sao, but I still have some marks on 4, 6, 10 and the 14 occurs on the junction of the parts of the sao.
It’s a long way to …

2 Likes

Yea im making sure to practice everyday! i just got the lesson to learn Bachizuke! And i would for sure recommend that to anyone else in the same boat as me. Kevin Metz has a very good video on his youtube called Roku Dan, secrets unveiled i would also recommend to check that out.

1 Like

Thanks I might have been to fast in wanting to learn I guess it’s normal to look at the sao or the bashi holding hand when you start

I started nearly two month ago so maybe I should just take my time and slowly try to play without

2 Likes