Neo on the Shamibuddy?

I was wondering if I Can use a regular neo on the shamibuddy to make it look nicer and more unique?

Hi Dean!
Aaah, good question. Unfortunately, the bottom spike of the Shamibuddy is a bit too wide for a regular Neo to fit. :frowning: The bottom spike also sticks out much lower on a regular shamisen (roughly the middle of the dou) than the 'Buddy, so for both reasons it couldn’t work. I wish it could though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you for the info :slightly_smiling_face:! but do you think you can make a video on how to string and replace the neo the shamibuddy v2? its pretty different than the original

I’d be happy to make a video on stringing! :slight_smile: Just to clarify, by “replacing the neo”, do you mean putting it back on, or putting a different one on?

Just Replacing the little string that is the shamibuddy neo Just in case it rips I know what type of string, the exact length of string, and how to tie it properly and fit it on the end :grin:

Many thanks Kyle!

Ooooh! Great point! Yes indeed, I’ll show that as well! I should be able to make a video hopefully this coming week! :smiley:

Thanks for suggesting it, Dean!

1 Like

At long last, here we go! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much Kyle! You’re the best! :smile:

Have you considered a short throw Neo for the Shamibuddy, @Kyle_Abbott ?

That’s a cute neo! The tricky thing is the top surface of the ShamiBuddy nakago is about 15mm from the top edge of the dou, and so quite a bit of the neo’s upper half would be sitting way over the top surface of the dou. It’s always worth a try, but I thought it looked more elegant to have the strings set just below the edge of the dou.

@Kyle_Abbott Another try (and the last one, I promise), just because I thought it would look cool.

It’s not really a Neo style knot, but my attempt at that kind of knot with a hole in the middle of the crossing didn’t end up looking good. So this one was born.

Noice! Now that could possibly work! :smiley: That looks very tasteful!

I’ll see if I can reproduce and do a short video on it (that was a first attempt, without much thinking).
But I guess you have figured the construction already.

Ooooh no. Knots have always been far from my comfort zone. :sweat_smile: