New here.

I’m totally new here, but starting to build my own Tsugaru Shamisen with the help of Kyles wonderful guide. I’m an old goat, but have been woodworking my entire life, and am learning new things from the book. Just finished my own Faux Bekkou bachi with good results as practice for the challenging things ahead. Quick question. I’m unable to find Noriko powder glue online. Does it go by any other name? Can anyone steer me to a supplier? Thanks much, and I’m glad to be here. My son is a Luthier making violins and just starting his first cello. I learn from him too.
Regards,
Phil

Hi Phil!

Welcome to Bachido! I’m happy that you’ve found my book helpful. No doubt it will be a walk in the park with all the experience you have.

To answer your question, it’s very difficult to find the powder as it’s seemingly made just for shamisen makers (thus not on the open market). I had inquired with Nitta san on stocking it, but it was going to be about 4000 yen for a bag of it. I can get it for you, if you wish. However, if you use calf skin, I believe making nori with mochiko (which I recommend in my book) will be good enough.

I’d be very interested to see your handmade faux bekkou bachi!

Glad to have you here! :slight_smile:
Kyle Abbott

Hi Phil!

Welcome to Bachido! I’m happy that you’ve found my book helpful. No doubt it will be a walk in the park with all the experience you have.

To answer your question, it’s very difficult to find the powder as it’s seemingly made just for shamisen makers (thus not on the open market). I had inquired with Nitta san on stocking it, but it was going to be about 4000 yen for a bag of it. I can get it for you, if you wish. However, if you use calf skin, I believe making nori with mochiko (which I recommend in my book) will be good enough.

I’d be very interested to see your handmade faux bekkou bachi!

Glad to have you here! :slight_smile:
Kyle Abbott
Hello Kyle,
Thanks for the quick reply, and the advice on calfskin stretching and adhesion. I’ll go with the mochico and just not overstretch it. This will hardly be “a walk in the park” because of all of the elements that are non woodworking, but I’ll do ok. Then I have to learn how to play it. (THAT is the real challenge)
I have not been able to click and drag the photo to this post, but will try to figure out how to attach. (at 66, I am cyber-challenged and can’t keep up with you young whippersnappers.)
Thanks again, and regards to all.
Phil

HAHAHA, it’s fun when someone calls ME a young whippersnapper!

Welcome Phil! You’re going to enjoy the Bachido community. Everyone is wonderful here. :slight_smile: I, too, would like to see your faux-bekkou bachi. Let me know, and I will post an on-line tutorial of how to paste a photo into a Bachido Forum Post.

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME :slight_smile:

HAHAHA, it’s fun when someone calls ME a young whippersnapper!

Welcome Phil! You’re going to enjoy the Bachido community. Everyone is wonderful here. :slight_smile: I, too, would like to see your faux-bekkou bachi. Let me know, and I will post an on-line tutorial of how to paste a photo into a Bachido Forum Post.

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME :slight_smile:
Faith and Begorrah!!! I believe I’ve done it! Not the greatest photo, but it give you the idea.
Chou
Phil

Welcome WELCOME :slight_smile: I’ll try just the http. . . .jpg part of that blue link above . . . (also giving it its own line in the reply text and without “Quote”)

wow looks great!

Wow!! That is very impressive. Man, that is VERY impressive!

May I ask, is that the faux tortoise material they use for guitar pickguards?

It is indeed. It is “Tor-tis” manufactured and sold by Luthiers Mercantile in California. Very modest pricing. Not sure how this product differs from Bekkou, but they have to be very similar polymers. I’m assuming it will sound similar too. Anyway, I have a Delta band saw with a sharp fine tooth blade which made short work of milling this. It will also work very well to remove much of the wood in the curved profiles before I go to planes, chisel gouges and files. I would encourage others to try a wood bachi first to get the hang of it if they are so inclined.
Regards everybody.
Phil

Ah, Tortis. I had seen their sheets of material online. I wonder how it holds up to hard tsugaru style playing. (You shall find out!)

Not sure how this product differs from Bekkou, but they have to be very similar polymers

My main pick for mandolin is made from bekkou. I’ve used Tortis as well. As for detecting a difference… well, having respect for the extreme influence the mind can have in a test, I can’t really claim one was better than the other for certain. That said, I still like my bekkou pick better. Just a smoother playing experience. (Again, all based on feeling in the mind, so not a concrete test) Used as a bachi though, it might be totally different.

When you bend the tip of your Tortis bachi, is there some flex? Or is it stiff?

LMII is a great place for materials! I patronized there a lot when I was making my mandolin.

UGH every time i tried to get tortis in the uk i just couldn’t get it!
anyhow, welcome : )

Outstanding work Kyle. String instruments are so elegant. I couldn’t find a source for sheet bekkou or I would have used it. We’ll see how the tortis holds up when I’m playing.

Thanks for the welcome Amanda. Your difficulty acquiring tortis may have something to do with the HAZMAT shipping requirements.
But no bother if you got bekkou.
Regards folks.

Phil - Wow, that bachi is all kinds of awesome! I need a back-up, so I’d like to try making my own sometime … thank you for the info.

Kyle, why doesn’t it surprise me that you made that amazing mandolin? The inlay is incredible, did you do that, too??