New single from Japanese Folk Metal VisualKei band

So many of you have heard of Wagakki Band, but have any of you heard of Kiryu? Kiryu is a VisualKei band from Japan that also uses Traditional Japanese instruments, but way older. They’ve been doing this since 2007. They recently released a new single and I thought I should share it here. The traditional instruments are synthesised sadly, but the samples used are really good. (Though in this particular single, the Shakuhachi/Shinobue/Nohkan samples aren’t as good as in previous single). The lead singer, Mahiro Kurosaki, is known for his distinct vocal style, which mixes aggressive vocals made famous by artists like Kyo from Dir En Grey and Ruki from The GazettE with that of traditional Japanese techniques like heavy vibrato.
The band also does a lot of horror stuff, showing the darker side of older Japan that is often not explored. They’re also known for their experimentation with different rock genres, having started out with a sound comparable to that of 90’s Vkei bands such as La’Mule and Dir En Grey, with influences from different genres such as Punk, Blues Rock, and Thrash Metal. They are a must listen.

-WARNING: Music video has Macabre imagery. Viewer discretion is advised-

1 Like

I heard of wagakki band toooooooooooooooooooooo much times, and I really am stressed, since they are doing (quite always) the same, same, same, same, same and same stuff…

I knew Kiryu, but I underrated them wrongly. I listened to a song and thought “ok… nothing special”,. Some years went by, and I re-believed Kiryu were somewhat really diffferent. I don’t remember, anyway,the tracks which impressed me

Maybe we can create a topic regarding Visual Kei bands (except wagakki band) who combine traditional Japanese music and modern one

Thanks for sharing that link. I’m a fan of Wagakki Band but had never heard of Kiryu.

Maybe we can create a topic regarding Visual Kei bands (except wagakki band) who combine traditional Japanese music and modern one

That would be a cool idea.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that link. I’m a fan of Wagakki Band but had never heard of Kiryu.

You’re welcome~ They’re a must listen to and have something for everyone

Aimi, I also noticed of a band (before wagakki came out) called crowclass. The singer is the wadaiko player of wagakki band. Yeah, maybe not really succesfull, but their style is a bit different than the wagakki band
Please take a listen

I also know there are some albums on iTunes

Cool! I love when bands use classical instruments for modern music. Have you heard of Chthonic? They’re Taiwanese, not Japanese, but they do some similar stuff with mixing metal and classical Chinese/Taiwanese instruments. I really like the erhu and sanxian (I think?) on this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYsu5-TJQ8

Aimi, I also noticed of a band (before wagakki came out) called crowclass. The singer is the wadaiko player of wagakki band. Yeah, maybe not really succesfull, but their style is a bit different than the wagakki band
Please take a listen

Yeah, I know them! CrowXClass got me into VisualKei in general. They only released one album though, sadly. (And it’s not really long enough to be an album)

Cool! I love when bands use classical instruments for modern music. Have you heard of Chthonic? They’re Taiwanese, not Japanese, but they do some similar stuff with mixing metal and classical Chinese/Taiwanese instruments. I really like the erhu and sanxian (I think?) on this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYsu5-TJQ8

Oh yeah, I’ve heard of them~ They’re pretty cool

Please show us some videos of this group

Well, hopefully this video of the making of the new music video is enough xD. All their music videos are on their record labels Youtube Channel, BP Records~

Here is what’s believed to be one of their best ever pieces: Shinin Hana. It’s a more atmospheric one, with use of both traditional instruments, and violin (A lot of the songs that are written by guitarist Takemasa, the one in the mask, use violin, so it’s possible he plays Violin. His old band had some violin work too.) It goes from soft to Metal and is a must listen to:

eHi!
Shinin Hana is somewhat really unique! What’s the sort date of this song?

It was released in 2010, as one of the B sides for their single Ruru (屡流), which was released after their first album

Aimi, most of Japanese singles from groups or singers have instrumentals. Does Kiryu have them?

Not all of them do. All the singles leading up to their 2014 album, Kyouka Suigetsu do, and their newest single does, but the rest sadly don’t.

Aimi, from what do you know it?