Newbie here - what kind of koma & bachi do I buy?

Hi everyone~ ^^

I’m recently back in the States after living in Japan for 2 years, and before I left, a friend gave me her Suzuki “Ayame” learning shamisen (she upgraded). I’ve found a teacher locally & will begin lessons next week, but I need to purchase a koma & bachi. I’m a complete beginner to shamisen - recommendations on what’s best for this model?

Thanks so much!!

Hi Erin!
Welcome back to the states, and welcome to Bachido! :slight_smile:

That’s great that you found a local teacher! I wonder if I know who that is. May I ask his/her name?

Personally, I’d say a simple bamboo koma and plastic bachi (or wooden bachi, which is nicer to use if you can afford it) to start with, but I would recommend asking your teacher. Depending on how formal he/she is, shamisen teachers tend to prefer the student follow their personal recommendations.

Have fun with the shamisen, and keep us posted! :smiley:
Cheers!
Kyle

Hi Kyle :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your reply! My teacher’s name is Yoko Fitzpatrick (she married an American after immigrating to the U.S.) Her biography can be seen here:
http://kotowithyoko.dennisf.us/index.php/about/

Absolutely love this community you’ve created - thanks again~!!

Best~

Erin

Oh, very cool! I’ve never met her, but I look forward to meeting her sometime in the future! :slight_smile:

Glad you found a nice teacher and also part of our community!

Bachi on!
Kyle

Bone koma (shari koma) & wooden bachi seem to be the standard for practice nagauta. eKameya and Bachido are two of the best places to shop for gear.

Not familiar with your particular shamisen - I think we’ve heard the name Suzuki before, do they have different models for entry level shamisen? Does it have natural or plastic skin?

PS. I’d recommend Horaido for getting your dosage of matcha, they have a good selection of quality green teas.