Okinawa shamisen tuning pegs

I bought a shamisen in Okinawa in 1960-1962. I have only one of the original tuning pegs remaining (used some old violin pegs as substitutes for the missing pegs). The original peg is, I think, ebony with an ivory (or bone) large end. Does anyone know where I can find tuning pegs for such an instrument?

From what I’ve heard from the more experienced players here on the forum you need to make itomaki specifically for each instrument, meaning you need to provide the instrument or just the neck part with the tenjin to a craftsman who can make you one.

Of course you can always try and make your own if you are not close to Japan.

That sounds like a sanshin karakui. www.asovivasanshin.com/introduction.htmlShare
Go to this wedsite they are great for everything sanshin.

Hey!

I am a beggining sanshin shokunin,I do adjusts,and im starting to fix some stuff.

I can reccomend you to buy Karakui From ASOVIVA,as jessica said.

There are other websites like

www.el-okinawa.com
and
www.Chindami.com

These Websites offer different models.

Ivory Karakui are expensive. 10000 yen each

The last 2 are in japanese,and Asoviva is in english (and has a japanese version)

If you want to have some basic karakui,only for tuning,i reccomend you the Hexagonal Karakui,double or single line. These are famous because they’re cheap.

They are also made of ebony,but they use plastic tips.

My sanshin came to Brazil in 1962,and its still going strong.

I sent it to a shokunin to change skins.

Hope i have helped.

If you have any further questions ,ask me, or any other at this amazing Community.

Thank you, Jessica and Shinji, I found just what I need on Asaviva. My instrument looks like the hongawa photograph on its home page, with the snakeskin head. And it has the karakui I need. Again, thanks for such quick response to my query.