Online resources: Atlas of Plucked Instruments, Far Side Radio

I read some old posts about other stringed instruments and about possible designs on shamisen. Rather than add my comments, I wanted to share a good online resource. It will help you ID, learn about other instruments, and imagine traveling along the Silk Road. For example, besides the Chinese sanxian, Okinawan sanshin, you can find 3-stringed lutes in S.E. Asia, Central Asia, Middle East, and so on. The site has pictures, description, and on the left sometimes links to YouTube or other websites for more info.
Atlas of Plucked Instruments
http://www.atlasofpluckedinstruments.com/

Also, I bumped into a website recently called Far Side Radio / Far Side Music. Real interesting music he sells and can ship internationally. But I am having a lot of fun listening to archives of past radio broadcasts. Give it a listen! (You can go forward but not backwards. If you want to skip the show’s intro, jump fwd about 2.5mins.) Real eclectic stuff and each show has a different theme, so pick a topic you like and see. Sometimes artists are live in the studio, so he has variety. The playlist is also shown, to give credit to musicians and their albums.

I remember there was a similar program in Italy… talking about ethnomusicology… This program was on Radio …

Btw, it is a little hidden, but here are Far Side Music’s “shamisen” listings. They also have many other topics/categories. You can browse or buy, sometimes a sample track or video. But the radio shows are a good listen.

http://www.farsidemusic.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=shamisen&PN=SHAMISEN.html

The new March and April 2022 releases have some traditional goze uta releases at Far Side and looking into it. They sent me great English language books on Sanshin groups in the past so still absorbing lots of material…

Misahiro Nitta also has a new online addition to this Japan store known on Facebook as Secondhand Shamisen and his English language staff very helpful.

He sent a CD as a kind addition with Hokkaido based musicianship that had traditional as well as amazing textural interplay.

My familiarity with very limited traditional and obon folk pieces appreciates slightly jazzy rifts …will have to find out more about these Hokkaido artists…

I only play a little to add appreciation and understanding to my small absorption for these beautiful lutes and listening ears…