Participants for Tsugaru-Shamisen Research!

Hello Everyone!

I’m a 3rd Year University Student from the UK and at the moment I’m part way through writing my undergraduate thesis on Tsugaru-Shamisen.

For my primary research, I’ve attached a survey where the main question I want to ask everyone is “what does Tsugaru-Shamisen mean to you?”.

i.e. What about engaging with it makes it a meaningful experience for you personally

This could be anything, as I’m looking for whats personal, however, I’ll give some examples that I hope might clear up the type of thing I’m looking for.

• In German there is the word “Fernweh” which means nostalgia for a place you’ve never been (similar to the Japanese word Furusato)
  • It could be that certain Tsugaru-Shamisen players inspire a certain sense of awe in you.
  • personally, I would say that because it’s so improvised and non-tune like, it represents a raw outpouring of emotion that I find very powerful
  • or it could just be that its simply one of the best sounds you’ve heard.

It can honestly be any and all of the above, or anything at all I’ve not mentioned.

It would mean so much to me if even just a few people could take the time to answer, as even if it was only personally, I would very interested to hear each response!

(please also note: completing the survey will act as consent for the use of the relevant data. Your name will remain anonymous and if requested, your data will be deleted).

Thank you! よろしくお願いします!

Hey there.

You may want to cross post this on the facebook group

and discord