Printed doukake

… not necessarily 3D printed ;D

But what I was thinking would be a service like this:

http://www.fabricondemand.com/about-our-fabrics/textiles.html

Which kind of fabric would work the best? With 1 yard being the unit, you could easily do some mass production… they have samples at $5 though.

Actually, it would be awesome if someone sold the cardboard (or whatever material it is) base of the doukake that could be covered with whatever material one chooses. You could have a Fender tweed doukake, polka dots, plaid, comic book characters, leather, etc. or even have something custom printed up from somewhere such as the site you listed.

I’m actually slightly tempted to take the material off of my doukake and re-cover it with something that suits me better.

Kyle’s book says it’s just sheets of paper and elmer’s glue or such. I think it would be fairly easy to make say 10 of them, a part of the work is wrapping up your dou which needs to be done only once.

Mailing them could be a challenge - I suppose we could share them at the meetings. Some people have a different size of dou, though.

A trimmed section of the right size of car tire would make an awesome doukake - already got the curve. Think huaraches for your shamisen, plus it would make you look really formidable in a Mad Max kind of way. Not traditional? Tradition is just a set of rules that needs updating.

Hey folks! You might find this blog interesting. :slight_smile: - yaplog!(ヤプログ!)byGMO

I’m sure someone here is good with solvents, molding 'n such.

Yatagarasu-san, that is a wonderful website - what a very cool service! Thank you so much for posting this.

Didn’t we have a whole discussion on doukake making around here somewhere? I followed Kyle’s directions in his book, and with just a few alterations, made myself a great doukake and tenjin cap! :slight_smile: Let me see if I can find it around here somewhere - there are a FEW people around here who have made their own doukake’s with cvery nice results!

I remember that I used Bounty Paper Towels instead of paper the second time, and they worked great!

Here is that discussion thread …