Psycho Party! New Shamisen Rock and Air Show gig!

Hey guys! As some of you know I have spent about two years in retirement after a pretty active and hectic career in the USA as a professional Shamisen player which spanned nearly a decade of my life. After creating and introducing my own original blend of Shamisen and rock, funk and metal (or Shmetal as we refer to it here on bachido) in bands like God of Shamisen and estrdasphere I moved back to Japan where I more or less stopped touring, making CDs and doing big concerts. However this past year and especially this past summer have been inspirational times for me and have more or less inspired me to become active as a Shamisen player once again! Visits from Anne L. , Grant and Shmoolik from bachido were tremendous motivaters as well as Norm’s gathering and the new Monsters of Shamisen CD (my first recording experience after almost three years out of any studio work ) pretty much marked my “Return” into the life of a Shamisen player.
Well in addition to all of this I want to announce I now have a new band. We just coudn’t think of a good name so we ended up going with the first words we could come up with… Psycho Party! (we are trying to get paying gigs as a party band for events etc.)
I play both acoustic and electric Shamisen in this band, as well as guitar. We just started playing and yesterday was our third gig. We set up our stage in an airplane hanger and performed all throughout the day for the annual AIR SHOW in Misawa, Japan. Problem was it meant that we were in constant competition with the airplanes. Trying to play Shamisen against the sonic boom of fighter jets was quite an “interesting” experience to say the least!
Anyway I just wanted to share with you guys here on bachido what I have been up to lately. My plan is to post some clips here once I acquire and upload them. I know a few tunes were caught on film but haven’t gotten them uploaded yet.

So stay tuned right here for some Psycho Party video clips (hopefully soon) and Bachi On, everyone!

Dude sounds awesome! (got to see a few pic online, a few of you actually holding an electric guitar…you coping ok with that? :stuck_out_tongue: ). Ganbatte man!

Great! I will F5 every 5 minutes hoping you have upload this videos! :slight_smile:

Lookin forward to hearing some Psycho Party

OK, here is something silly we did with distortion on the electric Shamisen. Its our cover of Johnny B. Goode. Oops. Sorry folks…it’s down there. Right below!

Sounds cool! Waiting to hear more of Psyco Party
But haha the airplanes :DD

woooooooaaa! amazing sound! It sounds like a electric guitar! shamiguitar!! f***ing planes… but you plays in an awesome way!

Oh just wait…it gets worse! The next clip I am waiting to post here is going to be called Shamisen vs. Air force fighter jet…or something!

Ok here’s another clip of one of the solos . I wish I had more band footage w/ Shamisen but only was able to snag a few clips from yesterday’s show. So this is the duet featuring Shamisen and air plane. As someone mentioned it seems that the plane is a little out of tune. I had to have a word with the pilot after the show.

ummm…I don´t want to be rude but this airplane doesn´t take the spirit from Psycho Party, have you think about firing him?

Yes! Can you imagine? The airplane is even in the wrong key! I was playing in B flat! I told the pilot five times that morning and still he couldn’t remember ! My advice to all Shamisen players… Never collaborate with the Air force! Pilots just don’t have the musical soul that we need to work together well!

Awesome!

Kevin, you can hear the bachi snaps through the jet engines, so hat’s off for you!

jajaja, I will have in mind your advice! :slight_smile:

Haha I love it almost as good as shamisen along with coffee grinding sounds . . . oh that would have been epic for me to be there an airshow and shamisen even coffee maybe 3 of my favorite things . . . congratulations on the new band and activity not to mention the great band name . . .

Hey B H! Woa, Snap!, I didn’t realize this sort of goes along with Kyle’s coffee grinding duo tune. Bachido has gotten pretty funny over time. So far we have found ways to make the strangest things all relate to Shamisen… Coffee, taxis, airplanes. But then again…it’s all pretty natural if you think about it. shamisen players drink coffee and take rides to get places. 100 years ago, the image of a Shamisen player was someone rather poor surrounded by snow and nature. Today we are simply adjusting the image and things associated with it to reflect today’s lifestyle .

again well said I think you could write (a) little philosophical shamisen stories or something :slight_smile: although it is also cool to just encounter such enjoyable to read “pearls of wisdom” in posts on the forum after all that is also something that makes this the great forum it is . . .

Woah…you turned your shamisen into a guitar, then you beat a plane in a noise war with a new age jongara bushi…must have been a good day :stuck_out_tongue:

. . . and I have spread shamisen awareness to the UK today and that from right here in austria no less . . . :slight_smile: very nice people . . .

(taxi customers from the UK)

Awesome B H
Way to go!