Rebuilding very old shamisen part 2

I have been stabilizing very dried out wood on case. I will be fabricating one replacement copper corner cover. Took lock off and cleaned and tweaked so it works…now need to fabricate a key that will lock and unlock…the unlock function being the most important! Also have had to re glue paper that lines the inside. Using a very watered down hide glue.

So I am adding some pictures of this very old shamisen rebuild project. I have bought Kyle’s book and plan to build what is needed to do the reskinning when that point is reached.

1 Like

The case is amazing but how much does it weigh?

Actually, the case is rather light. I spent over three years in Japan while in the Navy and there are some very beautiful wood that is used in furniture/cabinet/case making that are very light. This case was held together by small pegs! There was some dry rot/worm eaten areas that needed to be stabilized and built back. The lining papers were coming loose and needed to be re-glued. The common glues used back then were either “hyde glue” or “rice glue”. As I progress I will try to continue adding pictures and description of progress.
Here are a couple of the little pegs that hold it together.

1 Like