Removing fabric backing from stretchy pleather?

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m looking for various synthetic alternatives to natural skin. So far there’s only really been one thing that I known to perfectly match the needed tension and thickness for a shamisen that can be applied in a semi-traditional way on a small, beginner’s budget . And that’s stretch vinyl.
I got a great roll of faux snakeskin a few years ago and I don’t think the shop sells it anymore, but I got some plain black pleather there, too.

The former’s got a lot more stretch than the latter and while it’s also got a loose backing that would make it easy to remove and test out, it got misplaced when we moved house and I have no idea where it went. So now I’ve been left with small samples I’ve been ordering in. All of which have fabric backings that don’t stretch as easily in all directions as the vinyl on top does (Or even at all).

I know it’s possible to find ways to dissolve this backing but I have no idea where to look considering that every time I try to look something up it’s always about removing vinyl from fabric and not the other way around (so I have to avoid using anything with acetone in it).

Besides the limitations of the backing, the faux leather and snake skin I’ve got seem like they’ll work out fine by themselves and if I can get this conundrum sorted I could get the skinning done with a roll, some canvas pliers and a frame slightly big enough to put over the dou.

Anybody here have any working knowledge of what dissolves cotton or nylon but doesn’t wreck vinyl?

If not, thanks for reading, anyway.

Wow, good luck Laura! I’m afraid I don’t have an answer, but really look forward to see your progress on how vinyl works for skin! :slight_smile:

Cheers, Kyle.
I ordered in a sample of some black and grey fake snakeskin stuff and I can peel the fabric backing off of that.
Sadly I can’t find anything that’s plain faux leather that comes off just as easily or anything in white/off-white.
I’ll still look around and get some more samples in but if I end up using this material, it’ll at least match the black pegs and tenjin cover I’ve got and could look pretty awesome.
As for the possible sound, the vinyl without the backing is only about half a mil thick but quite dense. I’ve pulled on the sample as hard as I can and it goes pretty tight, but doesn’t show signs of stretch marks or anything once it snaps back to normal so I dunno how tight I can make it before it bursts. Probably needs a lot of force before that can happen, though. I’ll use the sample on a tin can or something to test the acoustic properties.
I think we still have a popcorn tin somewhere or an old empty tub I could turn into a drum.