Renting of Shamisen/Koto

Hi,

Im Anu from India. I heard Japanese teachers lend instruments like Koto or Shamisen to their students during classes. Are they allowed to take them home and play.

Hullo, Anu.

That would be something to ask the teacher in question.

Wagakki like shamisen and koto are rather expensive, so it depends on the person.

Thanks Christopher !
Do people in Japan buy instruments or prefer to rent it mostly?

Cheap instruments are available.

Well even though it’s better than nothing necessarily, I’d be careful with certain cheap instruments. They can hinder your experience and make it much less enjoyable in my experience, depending in just how low quality you get.

Anu,

Your questions are really hard to answer. I can’t really speak for the average person living here. But from what I’ve seen:

As for shamisen, everyone I know has their own instrument; however, most started on a loaned or rented instrument. Many shops offer rental services.

For Koto and other wagakki, I am unsure.

Koto don’t last nearly as long as shamisen do, so there’s fewer of them around - which means fewer used pieces to get put to work as rentals/loaners. That said, one of the shops I frequent here (Muramatsuya) definitely rents them out on a monthly basis.

A friend of mine who has started koto, but doesn’t have her own instrument, is only able to play it at that classroom. She can’t take it back to her apartment.

Another friend had a koto loaned to her by a teacher which she was able to bring home.

Instruments can be found cheaply (relatively speaking), if you know what to look for. But there’s always the risk of a burn.

If you are in Japan (which you are not), it is relatively easy to find cheap instruments in a wagakki store. They won’t sell you junk if you are right in front of them, at least the places I’ve been.

I would be very careful buying inexpensive instruments online, shipped internationally. It would be best to have someone you know go and inspect it for you.