Repairing Skin (Who knows how to do it)

Other than (Kyle Abbott), Who else knows how to repair Shamisen’s skin?

• We should have a link - for Bachido

• (Need to repair your skin? here are some repairers. How much they charge and where are they located. (find the nearest repairer for Shamisen skin)

People can always advertise their service on the forum, but we couldn’t have actual official recommendations on Bachido. The basics of skinning is fairly easy, but to do it very well takes experience. Thus, hypothetically somebody could come on and charge a professional rate, but I have no way of knowing how good their quality actually is. Thus, Bachido can’t vouch for someone if their skill is unknown.

Again, people can always post their services on the forum, as it’s public. :slight_smile:

Besides me and Kyle I don’t even know if anyone else has even tried. Just understand that we can’t use traditional skins (cat and dog) closest you can get is goat and calf.

(Jessica) - I’ve seen Kyle style of fixing the Shamisen skin. How is your skinning repair done (you have picture or a video) and how much you charge?

Also I’m curious - let say if only one side of the skin breaks and that skin is natural. You repair the other skin with Calf skin “since cat and dog is illegal”

Would that affect the playing sound? With one side Natural (cat or dog) and the other side (calf)

Or you should destroy both side and repair using the same skin - because one shamisen (I might get - only one side is broken and the other side is fine) should I just fix both or one side?

sorry also how much do you charge for both side and only one side?

(Kyle) - I wasn’t saying that bachido should have professional outside repairs but People around the United States. But then again you did say people already just list themselves on the forum by telling people

(Kyle) - sorry if I confused you and other people

I use the way Kyle describes in his book and have good results. Check out my profile pic, I did both skins on my shamisen. Skins cost about $15 and I would charge maybe $75 for labor (its a very slow careful process). If one side is fine I would leave it alone it will sound fine.

question on your profile pic - why is the skin have black marking. is that from the playing?

no calf skin is not bleached so there are see thru parts. they are minimal on mine because I stretched it to max sound.

when you repair skin using calf - it has black markings on the skin.

I see like black skid markers on your Shamisen. When Kyle did his video on skinning there were no black markings.

they just appear black in the picture there actually clear, and kyle may have used goat skins I do not believe they have clear parts. The above picture is a close up of a shamisen that I skinned.

I keep seeing like black smear on your skin. - Maybe you should do a video like how Kyle did his - I’m watching his video and there no black marking (then again you said he could be using a different skin)

Sorry to digress. I have the good fortune to have acquired parts for four or five instruments, probably completing three instruments (all circa 1951) and a fourth one that is perhaps very late Edo period. I have managed to refinish & glue up the sound boxes - necks were pristine though needed repairs on the head & scroll. To finish I must locate skins appropriate for authenticate sound. Strings and bridge I see are available on this site. I am so impressed the with joinery as to be in awe of Japanese woodworkers. So looking forward to be able to learn & play them. Sincerely, Bruce

If you want authentic skins you will have to send them to japan and it will cost you up to $300 US a side (they use dog or cat) the skins are illegal to import.

Welcome to Bachido, Bruce! :slight_smile:

Glad the necks were in good shape! There was no warping? Yeah, the joinery is really astounding. Getting the joints fitted close to look like one single piece always leaves me amazed.

Actually, skinning costs about $300 per side for tsugaru shamisen. But for nagauta shamisen, I believe it can be skinned with standard grade dog skin (which will give the authentic sound) for about $125 per side. (judging by Katou san’s website)
…Skinned in Japan, of course. :wink:

Thank you both for your kind & timely responses. Yes, when fitted together even without tension the seams disappear, and with a little string tension . . it is one. Being an impoverished winemaker from Napa Valley I traded two cases of my wine for all of it from a Japanese Antique shop. I don’t think I’ll be trading to Japan soon. I know a drummer in Southern California (who also owns an Ukulele shop in Ventura) - Apparently he buys fine calfskin for some of his specialty drums & thought it worth a try? Who knows? It’s going to take some practice to be pulling down sixteen clips (making the clips, wedges and that peculiar ‘spanish windlass’ also). The surviving sides that are fully complete are so tight as to be unbelievable. Even one of the torn sides resound tautly and clearly. I can understand the fascination for this instrument (besides loving the music). Bruce

Bruce,
Oh WOW. No way!
Sorry this has not much to do with the post, but I couldnt help but get hit by a sudden lost memory. Somehow I seem to recall visiting a store in Ventura that was selling Ukulele instruments. I didnt stay long or meet anyone there (At least I dont recall...) But I seem to have a memory of someone in there talking about being a drummer. Its just a vague memory now but when you mentioned your drummer friend I couldn`t help but wonder.
Living in Japan is not really that great for me right now so I am constantly being hit by nostalgia of the days I lived in Southern California.

Hey Bruce,

Oh, yes. Definitely calf skin is great. I use calf skin for my shamisens, and though the tone is a little different from dog/cat, it sounds very good. I get mine from mid-east.com

Kevin: You know the best cure for nostalgia of living in California?.. come back and live in California! :stuck_out_tongue:

Dear Mr. Kyle Thank you for that tip. I look forward to hearing a recording that you have done. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was cross-over Yoshida Brothers or an ancient master.

Well Kevin, I don’t have the pleasure of having ever lived in Japan, though I’ve been through Narida airport eight times on my way to Bangkok (heading for Vietnam, Cambodia etc. and never got out of the airport. While living a long time ago in Hawaii I used to work at Kona-Tei as a Teppan-Yaki, Robata-Yaki, Tempura cook (sometimes they would even let me do Sushi) . . . and having studied Judo at 11 years old and for some years on and Aikido for 15 years and being most fortunate to be allowed to enter the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu, my Sensei being Mark Jones of the Napa Aikido Dojo who’s Kyoshi is Sugawara Tetsutaka the only person allowed to teach outside of Japan (at least 15 years ago, I think).

I do so love many things Japanese, but am not oblivious to their history of the last 500 years, either.

I would have loved to spend time outside of Mito in practice and training. Currently I am trying to build simple Shakuhachi as I have a marvelous supply of exotic bamboo’s, black, and orange, yellow, green. I have built some traditional instruments already, Psalteries, hammered dulcimers, Appalachian dulcimers and love to fool around restoring old flutes and instruments in general. Restoring these shamisens has been a challenge. Even with the perfect joinery, gluing up the boxes was a challenge, but I created a makeshift strap & pulley system to hold it together. I researched the proper glue and it worked out great.

The two fellows’ who own the Ukulele shop are Brad and Cary – both are drummers. They are new friends to me as I have just returned to southern California after 30 years to take care of an aging mother – so I am living between two states . . . Northern California and Southern California (they really are two states of mind).

Let me know if you need any local research done and perhaps even share with me your apparent ambivalence about Japan these days (outside of their economy!). Best to you.

Cheers
Bruce Scotland