Replacement zagane?

Hi everyone! I’m sorry about my absence from Bachido lately. I have been building a guitar that has been keeping me from anything shamisen related. Now that it is nearing completion I am looking forward to doing some more work restoring my old nagauta.

I was about to request some nagauta sized zagane from the Bachido store and I suddenly realized that if itomaki aren’t interchangeable between shamisen then zagane might not be either. Does anyone know if a new set of zagane would fit the current holes in my shamisen (assuming I could even order some in the first place), or should I just spare myself the trouble and stick the itomaki in there sans- zagane?

Hi Cody

I didn’t include zagane on either of my shamisens. Apparently they are more decorative than functional. Bushings aren’t used in violin-family instruments; the itomaki will probably hold better against wood, and may last longer. Worn tenjin holes can be plugged with wood and redrilled – or you can put in zagane later.

Either way, the itomaki and holes/zagane need to be fitted to each other; I use a cello peg-hole reamer and a home-made peg shaver set to match.

The peg shaver is a plane blade clamped to a piece of wood, with a “peg hole” reamed tangent to the surface. Here’s a photo of Shamisen #1 (“Sam the Sham”):

I’ve also made an early-19th-century guitar and a jarana (a Mexican folk instrument derived from colonial Spanish baroque guitars), both of which use pegs rather than geared tuners. Here is the guitar (“Totoro”):

And the jarana (“Juana”):

I had difficulty drilling and reaming clean holes on the jarana (red alder), so I plugged the holes with hardwood dowels and redrilled. If you look closely, you can see the “wooden zagane” here:

Thanks Dan. The main reason I wanted to use zagane was to prevent the wood wearing down as well as to cover up the marks left by the original zagane. But if the itomaki fit better and last just as long without them then I think I will leave them off.

You may have also solved another of my problems with your “peg shaver” idea. I was trying to figure out how to fit the new itomaki into the old holes. Maybe I could ream the holes out slightly and use the same reamer to make a peg shaver.

I’m not an instrument builder, but I wouldn’t say that the zagane are entirely decorative. It seems to me that they come out of a different approach to the problem of wear and tear. As the shamisen neck is made from one piece of wood, and that wood determines the price of the instrument more than any other factor, I think the zagane are there to protect it. The ito maki (and the zagane) are seen as replaceable, while the peg box is not. I guess they could be said to be decorative in one sense, because plugging and redrilling the holes when the ito maki wear them out would go against the aesthetics of the instrument. The shamisen must have started out without zagane, but at some point makers started using them to prevent wear on the holes, and now they are considered part of the instrument.
Dan, your instrument looks beautiful, but speaking as someone with 20 years of experience looking at shamisen, at first glance the peg holes look naked without the zagane. It’s all aesthetics, though, because if I give myself a minute to get used to it, I might use the word “clean” rather than “naked”.
So, Cody, I say if you want your shamisen to look ‘authentic’, put them in. If you’re not so worried about that, and you don’t mind doing some plugging and refitting of pegs somewhere down the road, leave them out.

I admit that I lean to a “clean” aesthetic. Therefore, I didn’t want to make and install zagane if they were primarily decorative. I offered my observations and experience to Cody, since I dealt with similar questions.

Functionally, the brass zagane may actually be a disadvantage. I re-skinned a hauta shamisen which had zagane, and the itomaki didn’t hold as well as my wood-on-wood pegs. The zagane had worn some nasty ridges in the itomaki; I had to reshape them quite a bit before they would hold at all. On the other hand, if the zagane themselves loosened and began to rotate, they would really mess up the tenjin holes. You’d need some even bigger zagane to cover up that nakedness!

Without zagane, I doubt that wear-and-tear will be much of a problem. Cello peg heads are carved from maple, which is soft compared to kouki, and you don’t see ferrules on them. If wear is significant enough, bushing with wood and redrilling is the preferred solution.

The holes in a shamisen tenjin can be smaller without the zagane, so the wood can wear for a century or two before anything needs to be done. If the wear gets bad enough, your great-grandchildren can ream out the holes and put in a set of zagane. If their friends say, “ah, so sad, you had to fix it”, they can say, “yeah, but it looks kinda cool.”

Dan, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us here – I hope I didn’t say anything in my last post that was taken as my being critical of your suggestions. I learn a lot from reading your posts, but I was just pointing out another perspective, and taking a guess at why the zagane exist in the first place.
Something else occurred to me last night that might be relevant to this conversation, and that is the frequency with with the itomaki are used compared to many western instruments’ tuning pegs. I play guitar a bit, but only tune it when I notice that it needs it, and even then, its just a bit of fine tuning. The shamisen, on the other hand, needs to be put in tune when you start playing, and detuned when you finish playing. Then since there is no fixed tuning for it, you might retune it higher or lower in a given session, depending on who you are playing with. You will also probably switch between the three basic tunings as you play different pieces. So continually tinkering with the tuning is a big part of playing the instrument, and something that, as a player, you just get used to until you don’t even think about it. This probably leads to much greater wear on the itomaki holes than is common on tension peg guitars (maybe not, though - I don’t know if instruments with tension pegs are generally detuned and retuned after each playing).

Sanding the itomaki is pretty much a regular part of maintaining a shamisen, and when they get too worn down you replace them. All of this works in Japan, because there is a whole system that in place that includes players of various levels, and shamisen makers and repairers that deal constantly with similar issues. Eventually some probably thought “people are always coming in here and asking to have their itomaki fixed, what can I do to make this easier to fix?” I’ve had new zagane put in in a couple of minutes, while I waited, at the shamisen store. They just pull out the old one, put some glue in the hole, and stick in the new one. Again, though, this is a good solution for a repair man that comes up against the same repair again and again – if you have one shamisen, don’t have access to all the accessories that a shop in Japan would, and are handy with repairs yourself, then redrilling the hole is the simpler solution.
Also, I should point out that I don’t think there is any one way a shamisen needs to look, which is why I put the word ‘authentic’ in quotes in my post. For instance, many classical players would be scandalized at the way young Tsugaru players personalize their instruments, but neither way is right or wrong. As the shamisen gains traction outside of Japan, I expect there will be even more variation in the way they look.

peut etre que je ne vais pas bien répondre à cette question sur le zagene mais regarder les violons, il n’y a rien dans le trou des chevilles. le manche est en érable et les cheville en bois dur, en ébene. on sait qu’il y a une grande tension dans chaque corde mais jamais rien n’a été changé. alors, zagane ou pas ?

maybe I will not answer this question on the zagane but watch the violins, there is no zagane in the hole. The neck is maple and hardwood, ebony for “itomaki-violin”. we know that there is a great tension in each string (about 25 to 35 kg) but nothing has been changed. then zagane or not?