Reskinning shamisen in US?

Hi, I bought a used shamisen last year and the skin gave out on me this summer. I’ve read and watched Kyle’s reskinning techniques, but I don’t think I have the time/patience/etc. to do it myself. Do any of you know any US locations that offer reskinning services? Thanks!

Hi Lori,

What kind of shamisen is it? I reskin shamisen using calf skin. Calf skin sounds good, but because it has a different tone from dog or cat skin, it won’t sound like your normal shamisen.

Send me a PM if you’d like more information! :slight_smile:

I’d like to get more people skinning shamisen, but one turnoff for people is making all of the clamps. They are easy to make, but mindnumbingly dull. Thus, I’m also seeing if I can offer skinning sets on Bachido. We shall see.

Hi Guys,

I am trying many ways to reskin my shamisen. I have attached many skins (without the clamps :frowning: ) but one thing that troubles me is that I’m not sure I’m using the right side of the skin (goat skin). One side is smooth and has the hair follicles and the other is more paper-ish and you can see where the vains have been (GROSS!). I know for drums the side I’m using, the smooth side, is the one you use but with Shamisen I reversed the skin once and it looked more like it should e.g whiter. Am I using the right side or should I use the opposite shide to what an african drum etc would use.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Liam,

The shamisen is the same as drum, using the smooth side on top. You can scrape off the hair with very light sandpaper. When it’s stretched tight, it will turn much whiter. Even transparent goat/calf skin will turn white when stretched tightly.

We are seeing about getting a source for clamps (and all the tools for skinning). It is kind of a secret thing* within the shamisen making community, so it’s not common to sell them. Chances of getting a source is pretty low, but it still may be possible.

*though nothing’s really “secret” about it, as it’s simple to make.

Hi Kyle,

Brilliant thanks for that, it’s weird that it goes white after being stretched to breaking point. Yeah I have your book and I wanted to make the clamps but I’m not really set up to do it. I have no tools, no workbench or anything. Ah well I will think of someway to make them.

Thanks again for replying.

Hi all,

I’ve been building a shamisen. everything has been going well, I even built all the clamps and stretching equipment, but my three attempts at attaching the head have failed. I’m using glutenous rice flour. when i try take all the clamps off the rice flour doesn’t hold and the skin comes off.

I don’t have a heating coil to heat it up while its drying. is that a problem? would the finish i put on the wood affect how well the rice flour holds?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Hey mate,

I’ve used normal craft/pva glue on goat skin before and it has stuck really well but the rice flour glue should work too. Maybe you are taking the clamps off too soon and the skin is still a little bit wet at the edge. How long do you leave it to dry for?

I had the same problem a few years ago. I was sure everything was dry, but when I took the clamps off, the skin popped off. Turns out I made the glue was too watery.

Later on, I found that it’s best to get it almost like a dough. Still moist, but very stretchy and almost difficult to stir. (which is the same consistency I saw in Japan) I mix 2tbsp rice flour with 2tbsp water, heat it over a pan and keep stirring until it’s smooth, stretchy and takes effort to stir. Then I take it out of the pan, put it into a small cup and quickly beat it with a spoon for a few minutes. That mixture has worked well.

Thanks guys. I may have made the glue too watery. I will try again with a more doughy consistency. hopefully this time it will work.

How do you build the clamps?

hi i live in california, us is there a repair shop that deal with shamisens he in the state?

Hi there.

Are you asking if there is a shamisen reskinning service in California?

If so, yes.

You can find details on repairs (including reskinning) in the Bachido shop, at the following link