Ringo Bushi

Hey Bachido, this is me trying to play Ringo bushi.

Sounds pretty nice! :smiley:
Just one thing i would point out is the angle of your bachi hand. You should tilt your hand more. 90 degree is what you want. So that the bachi goes pretty much the same way as the shamisen. It’ll help you learn the Sukui (Upstroke) technique.
Just a tip for the future.
But great job Josh!

Thanks, I’ll try it out

Yeah! Thanks for sharing!

Hey Josh!

I think you have done a great job at learning the notation for the song! At times it sounds out of tune however and I think you should focus on this area as your next step.

There can be numerous reasons as to why it’s out of tune.

1. If you use the markers on the neck of the shamisen you need to consider that changing the position of the koma will change where the markers are. If you put on one of those long stickers with all the markers on it it is important that you position it correct. Using one of these also means you have to adjust the koma so that it fits the markers.

2. Ensure that the three strings are in tune. If you can’t hear this with your ear yet you should get a tuner.

3. If you don’t currently use markers and you try to play without then I would suggest to put them out to learn the positions once and for all.

Try this video by Bachido member Hibiki and try to play along to his notes to learn the positions.

Good luck!

Another extremely important point is the Bachi. When you have time, Take a scroll through a bunch of videos of Shamisen players and observe carefully how the Bachi is kept flat or rather parallel to the Dou surface. The Hibiki video above in Karl’s post shows an example of this. The reason for this is not just technique but actually it is practical to not puncturing a hole in the Dou’s skin surface. I would strongly recommend that you break the habit as soon as possible because at the moment from observing your video, your Bachi is angled at presicely the angle that many Shamisen teachers will have a heart attack over!

P.s. not to jump on you’re case or anything …As Karl said, Great job learning the notes! You Definately have a feel for this melody. The key/pitch is wrong but the flow and enthusiasm is there and that is the important and cool thing to embrace! Keep it up and Bachi On !

Thanks for the help guys. I had no idea about the bachi until I read these posts, that’s kinda why I posted the video. I know every time I play I’m scared to death of jamming the bachi right through the skin. Yes I do plan to get a tuner soon, it usually sounds a bit off but I’m never sure how to fix it, and I never knew changing the position of the koma would change the sound. Makes sense when you think about it though. Lots of details you don’t notice until someone points them out. Thanks! I’ll keep working on it.