sao

Happy-ness! Hello all. I posted this video on facebook a few days ago and thought that I’d put it here on Bachido as well, if I may be indulged. Feeling the beauty and richness of all of mother earth within the simple curves of the neck of an instrument with the sounds of the tropical Thai highland stream nearby and the gorgeous words and music of the Alba (Scottish) highlands.
Hope all is fine and well in Bachidolandia

1 Like

Hi Catherine!!
That is beautiful, all of it! What a tranquil place to have a workshop and make shamisen. :slight_smile:

Things are fine and well here. (Personally still fighting jet lag, but shoganai) Always nice to hear from you and see you continuing to create new instruments wherever you are! :slight_smile:

(One of these days, I have to try using scraper blades…)

Thanks Kyle

It is really nice to have a (mostly) outdoor workshop. I have a drill press and bandsaw in the house but most of what I do is out on the big deck. In fact, I spend most of my day out here (where I am sitting now at my computer) I have a low table with some cushions to sit on, floor style.

We’re in the rainy season now and so it is pretty moist up here, often hitting and staying 90% and more. Because it is surrounded by forest, it can be humid even in the dry season. Over the last 7 months I have developed some strategies. I made a room and lined it in plastic and have a dehumidifier set up there which is working really well. At this time of year i put most of all my stuff, not just instruments in that room to keep the mildew off. Even my spices in jars were becoming science experiments and so live there now too!

It is challenging enough (though it never snows at the tail end and beginnings of summer like it did when I was living in SW Alberta!), and, in truth, things would be a little easier to live in a place that was a little more open, but it is so incredibly beautiful in the trees here and the sounds of the insects and birds wondrous, so I’m going to stick it out here as long as I can.

I wonder. Maybe Bachido folks would be interested to read about the way that I have set up my little shop and how I am dealing with the humidity and other things here.
Cheers!
Cath

1 Like

Deft scraper use, Catherinesan. Cut and scraped surfaces are wonderful - almost unknown in the States as everyone uses sandpaper.

While I have too many projects already, I am looking at your video of Dou carving and construction and thinking about a log with a rotten heart in my wood pile, already most of the way to douland. Hmmm, a dou carved from a single piece? It must have been done before.

Tomo san!
Really! I didn’t know that about folks in the States not using scrapers much. I really like them and use them in both a push and pull sort of way. I even cut fine lines and edges with them.
What seems to work for me in the finishing stages is to do some sanding and then go over that with a fine scraper, finer paper then scrape some more and on and on. I think that my two most used tools are a great big hoof rasp and a set of scrapers! I guess then my chisels.

Your idea about using the log for a dou is really compelling. Love to hear how it goes when you get to it. What kind of wood is it?
Cheers!