Shamisen Build - brainstorming

Hello!

I’m building a Shamisen and thought. “What would a modern shamisen be like if they weren’t as strict with traditional methods and materials”? Acoustic Electric? Full Electric? Pickups? Steel strings?

I’m going to go a bit crazy on this build so please tell me what your ideas are. If you have specific things you want to see or have examples in other instruments feel free to share.

Anyone with an engineering style brain is welcome to share any technical issues that may arise due to these ideas and if there may be an adjustment to fix them or a suggested alternative.

The main thing I want to try is to customize some banjo tuning pegs to have the needed shaft length, then replace the button top with Itomaki shaped pegs.

Not a very modern instrument technique but I love resonating strings like in a viola de gamba of hardingfele, not sure how it would work with a shamisen though.

that could be very interesting, the resonating strings thing. The buzzy 1st string already resonates on its own. could be very cool to expand on that.