Shamisen Construction: Azuma Sawari

I wanted to ask for help, and my question to this wonderful community is that, I have my Tsugaru Shamisen (sorry if i spelled that wrong) and I am trying to figure out how I should go about installing my Azuma Sawari into my Tsugaru Shamisen because I want to switch this over to the left handed side of my Tsugaru Shamisen. All opinions are welcome here and I would love to hear some feed back from everyone

Hi Trevion!

Thanks for your question! (You spelled Tsugaru Shamisen correctly, by the way :slight_smile: ) Not to hock my own wares, but I would recommend checking out my book Shamisen of Japan. detailed instructions are given about installing azuma sawari, as well as everything else. :slight_smile: (http://bachido.com/products/shamisen-of-japan)

The only difference is that it would be installed on the right side. :wink:

Cheers!
Kyle

Indeed, buy a copy of “Shamisen of Japan”. Here’s a picture of my Azuma Sawari, made “per the book”:

1 Like

My, that is a beautiful sawari, Dan. What is the block made from? It fits nicely with the color of the kamigoma.

The block is a bit of fossilized mammoth ivory. My neighbor gave me a chunk that I’ve been cutting up for guitar nuts and saddles.

By the way, this is the kamigoma of Celia Olson’s shamisen; the wood is African Padouk.