Shamisen Parts

Do you use a Doukake?( thats what its called right?) you know, the one side cover thing. do you know how to make one? I know how to sew but I don’t know the pattern or materials as I have never seen one in real life. plus they are too expensive to buy…

Also the bachi do you make it or buy it? I’m making one because they are also too expensive.

Mine seems to be made from a molded paper/cardboard, covered with fabric which is held on by adhesive… no sewing required.

The bachi I use is pretty pathetic. I broke a plastic CD case to the right shape, sanded where needed, and wrapped duct tape around the handle until it fit my hand. :slight_smile: It works alright, but that’s relative to… nothing. At least it has a lot of flex. I’m guessing someone can give you the specs to make a decent wood bachi.

Hi Justin,

Welcome! Kyle’s book Shamisen of Japan has detailed instructions and also a template for use in constructing your own bachi. It may prove helpful to you.

Your homemade bachi sounds pretty decent Eric. I’ll probably end up using a wooden spoon! >

Plus, it’s explained in Kyle’s book how to do a nice doukake. It seems quite easy. :slight_smile: