Shamisen Type?

Hello everyone. I saw a shamisen I was considering buying, but I am having a hard time figuring out what type it is. The tuning pegs seem to resemble the Juita style on the description page of this site. However, the seller believes it to be a Futozao type. The instrument’s dimensions are as follows: Dou–width:20cm/7.87 inches depth:9.5cm/3.74 inches, Sao–length:100cm/39.37 inches weight:1.58kg/3.48 pounds all weight(with the cover):1.98kg/4.36 pounds
(size/Sao(bar)) width(top) :2.8cm/1.1 inches width(bottom) :3.1cm/1.22 inches

Also, does anyone know where I can find sound clips of the different types of shamisen? It always seems like the tsugaru shamisens have a lower pitch that I like very much, but is it because they are just tuned differently? Thanks in advance for all your help

Hi Michael. Can you post a picture of the shamisen ?

I’m having trouble uploading to Imgur…but here is the url and item on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151360999732?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_22723wt_1699

Japanese Vintage#SHAMISEN Classic Stringed Instrument w/Beautiful Cover#1978Japanese Vintage#SHAMISEN Classic Stringed Instrument w/Beautiful Cover#1978

I thought it would be way too cheap to actually be a Futozao. Maybe a Juita or Nagauta?

It looks like a “chuuzao” nagauta…

Thank you very much!

It’s a “hosozao” nagauta. Chuuzao is used to play jiuta music.

(size/Sao(bar)) width(top) :2.8cm/1.1 inches width(bottom) :3.1cm/1.22 inches

You’re right Jessica, the style is nagauta but the size of the sao (if it has been well measured) is chuuzao or even futozao !

Are there sound clips to compare the tones of the different styles?
Well, I finally decided to buy this one, which appears to be a Jiuta/Chuuzao from the sharp dip at the end of the sao, but I’m not sure…I got it mainly because both sides of the dou skin are intact.

Since I’m just starting out, I was just trying to get a better understanding of the different styles of shamisen. I’ve looked at the wiki section on here that explains them quite well, but I just wanted to be sure.