Shamisen/Wagakki Shops in Tokyo

Hi all! I know this has been asked before, but just wondering about specifying certain areas. In January I’m moving to Tokyo for school and am going to be mostly in Minato-ku (Azabu Juban) and am going to be living in either Bunkyo or in Kawasaki-shi in Kanagawa, so I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for shops easily accessible around those parts.
Thanks!

1 Like

Any chance we could add a shamisen shop list to the Shamipedia for quick reference? I know the site has an online store, but it’s good to know if there are any local options. Or a pinned topic on the Store/Sales category?

1 Like

Hi Joel and Ian!
That’s a good idea to have a list of physical stores in the Shamipedia. Personally, I only know Shamisen Katoh and Kameya. While there are many others, I don’t really know them well enough to write about. Perhaps Chris Brown knows a few more?

1 Like

I’m primarily based in Hokuriku, so Tokyo is a bit out of my headspace.

One of my local shops has a branch out there. Muramatsuya is the name.

Outside of that, here in Toyama we have Shamisen Rakuya and two locations for Muramatsuya. In Ishikawa there is Sekiya, another Muramatsuya location, and Shamisen Fukushima.

I’ve been to another shop in Gifu as well as in Fukui, but the names escape me.

In Nagoya there is Sansuien.

Osaka and Kyoto have a number of shops that I’ve wandered into from time to time, but I usually have more pressing business when there.

2 Likes