Shamisen wall hook

I’m curious if anyone has any ideas on wall hooks for a shamisen? I don’t have a case or anything like that so I’m trying to get it up and out of the way! Yeah… I have a 2 year old.

1 Like

Wall hooks for Shamisens are common in Japan. Any photos/videos of Kyle or me visiting Masahiro Nitta will feature various Shamis hanging from the wall in the background. Not sure if bachido is selling those yet but if not someone should alert Kyle!

Hey Kyle!. . . . .ALERT!

I know there are some, but I’m not sure where to get one. I’ve got my Shamisen in a normal guitar stand, however I would like to change that.
Kyle put together a pretty sweet gadget on his wall. It’s shaped like a box, or a cupboard almost, and the shamisen sits inside of it and has a latch in the front to keep it from going anywhere.
I’m certain buying a hook would be much easier though… hah.

Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!

Yes. It’s Hercules! :slight_smile:
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GSP38WB.htm

I don’t think it’s what Masahiro uses, but we’ve got 'em for most all our instruments. Works really well.

Grant: Ah yeah. I built the standing box, which is available in the Bachido Store! :stuck_out_tongue: - http://bachido.com/products/misc

But again, Hercules. I’d get it just for the name.

And rightly so Kyle, it’s pretty boss.

They look like sturdy and good stuff. Aren’t you afraid that the tenjin will get loose though?

I’ve seen the Hercules wall hook at Best Buy in the music section, I didn’t look at how much it was there but next time I go I’ll look

I don’t have kids, but I assume if they are making a mess you can hang em up without problems in one of those as well!

Karl: Excellent question! I wouldn’t think so. Granted, shamisen can be rather heavy, but if it was glued with wood glue (I doubt hide glue is used much anymore), it would be no problem. I would be more afraid of the dou slipping off of the nakago (which should happen for tight fitting dou, but in that case it’s only friction holding it together). However, if it is strung, that wouldn’t be a problem either.

Haha! The parental advantages of being a musician. :wink:

Btw, Masahiro’s shamisen holder is homemade.

Doesn’t quite caress the tenjin in foam-lined comfort, but it gets the job done. :wink:

Not sure I would have the balls to have it hanging on the wall. Too afraid the dou would come off and hit the ground. My itomakis tend to slip when I’m not using it and the fit between the sao and dou could be tighter.

Hey fellow Wall-Hangaz!

Just my 2 cents on this, cause I’ve been looking into this myself recently :slight_smile:

I also like the Hercules Wall Hanger for Accoustic Guitars (GSP38WB), but my Shamisen alwas slipped through the hook and rested on the Sawari or the Itomaki :confused:

So I wrapped some felt around the two hook-cushions and fixed them with needle and stitch.

I’m very happy with the result, it holds my Chuzao Minyō shamisen very safe :slight_smile: And I personally like to have the Shamisen front facing me, so I was also very glad there is enough space to the wall.

On the pics you can see that I cut out some foam, especially on the position of the Sawari. This is from previous attempts where I thought the Shamisen would sink in deeper into the hook. With the felt like now, it’s not necessary to cut out foam.

Be aware that with “traditional” Shamisen Wall Hangers, the Instrument is showing me it’s back. However, I like my Instruments showing me their Face, I’m a Guitar Guy :wink:

9d8d6029d5d06fb2fbf6405b6deb2cacc84026fa.jpg2448x3264 495 KB

e1971db8afcad5875a1106146b627784d507a38b.jpg3264x2448 459 KB

00cd3ee873d682a5441a16b39df792c756a41922.jpg2448x3264 476 KB

72c7545d1d18b7654ba2058ecbd171cd1b05658f.jpg3264x2448 509 KB

1 Like