Shinobi goma

Hi. Has anyone ever experienced the “abuse of shinobi goma” ? Actually, I almost exclusively play with a shinobi goma and the few times I play with a simple koma, I see that a lot of flaws that were hidden appear ! (problem of accuracy, or advance or delay in the left hand’s movements). Should I limit the use of the shinobi goma? Do my neighbors deserve that ?

Yes I suggest limiting the use of shinobi koma to build delightful relationships with your neighbors.

Ha, ha ! Probably already done !

I use my shinobi goma all the time, but mostly because I live in a small apartment with very low sound isolation. But I have experienced exactly what you described.

I’ve been practicing without it when I play with a friend locally, there I can focus on technique and sound improvement. With the shinobi on, I tend to focus on melody and memorizing the piece.

Lately however, I’ve been fine tuning my keshibachi (muting the string with your thumb while striking), so that I may play without the shinobi.

Thanks Calvin. Glad to see that someone else has experienced that feeling. And the shinobi goma is not a problem to improve the bachi striking too… So I won’t give up. All the better for my neighbors.

I play mostly during weekends during the day and no one has complained. But this is Sweden, where you don’t interact with neighbours and instead clench your fist in your pocket in pure rage.

I use the shinobi goma when I practice the intonation of the left hand and then I don’t practice the right hand at all, since if you use the same force as you would while playing for real, it would still be loud. So instead of getting into the habit of playing too weak with the right hand, I don’t think about it all. Often I also use a guitar plectrum if I just focus on the left hand.