Sitar and others?

Does a sitar combine well with the shamisen? Do you know about any recordings?

I know around 2006 there was one or more concerts with the theme arranged I think in Tokyo, didn’t yet look up much more information about them. But there doesn’t seem to be anything on Youtube.

On Soundcloud I bumped to a track that apparently combines shamisen and sarangi. So perhaps other Indian instruments? The rudra veena would sound rather interesting, though I think it’s quite rare:

(In this piece there’s also 2 tanpura involved for strings. You can jump to 17:00 for some nice parts.)

Not sure if the snappy and striking tones of shamisen would fit easily to the mellow and lingering sitar (or rudra veena). But it could lead to some nice musical innovation. I think it’s rather that both are quite rare instruments in the west - wouldn’t be surprised if the japanese make the combination first, it seems sitar playing exists in Japan.

PS. Why is there a pipa displayed on many of Kevin’s videos when he seems to never play it? I feel cheated, watching every video I see from Kevin and hoping that in the end he picks it up and does something totally wild, but no! Best I’ve come up with was one where he was playing with one pipa player… :wink:

Anyway combination with pipa has obviously been done:

PPS. What is that pipe (?) called that Tanaka-san uses to play with her left hand, and where do you get them?

Oh yes, Shamisen and Sitar fit incredibly well together. Bachido member Matej (previously known as Sid) collaborated with Jack Matsumoto in Japan a few years ago. And though there’s no sitar present, it gives a good idea of what it might sound like together. :slight_smile:

Fun fact: I believe Kevin Kmetz used to study Sitar in California like 20 years ago!

Are you sure there was no sitar involved in this? :smiley: Just electric (machine) tanpura? At least this kind of piece sounds nice on the shamisen!

Hmm I think it was sitar lessons where Kevin derived his knowledge of Indian ragas from, it was mentioned in one of his youtubes I think.

Hello. I did a collaboration with a siter player + a dancer two years ago here in Toronto.

I love sound of siter… and it was fun to play together.

Yatagarasu San,

Oh man! I appologize! I began taking Pipa lessons from a Chinese lady named Pipa Shen Shen when I lived in Santa Cruz about 8 years ago. When I moved to Japan I studied for a while with the Chinese master Jian Ting in Tokyo. I Love the Pipa. Only problem is I’m so much better at Shamisen and actually my last lesson with Jian ting sen sei was right before the earthquake and tsunami back in 2011. So…basically I’m severely out of practice!

On another note I’ve recorded Shamisen with the world music group Secret Chiefs 3 In which Shamisen was fused with a bunch of world music instruments including Indian instruments. No Sitar but at least some similar tones etc.

I see! I think I’ve seen enough Youtube videos to be convinced you actually might be much better on the shamisen. Although, when being trained by not just one but two pipa masters, it does sound a bit like an excuse :wink:

Thanks for the videos, all! Gets one really thinking. Another good one with both sitar and shamisen is from ten ten as well, though the sitar is not really prominent (more it’s the taiko that can steal the show here):

I suppose sitar often ends up being a slow lingering component, but sitar virtuosos can play very fast pieces like the shamisen, eg. A. Shankar in this one:

Of modern performers, make sure to check out Anupama Bhagwat as well.

But how about rurda veena + biwa??? I think that could be a most awesome combination, one could easily get lost in the psychedelic sound for hours! I mean, rurda veena + biwa + shamisen - I’m going a bit on a tangent! The shamisen could provide a nice contrast because it’s a more striking instrument than sitar/veena and I think the biwa… though biwa certainly can edge into the same territory and seems it can play more noisy/dramatic than a shamisen. At least, biwa + shamisen combinations are something you see time to time.

I also wanted to say I really enjoyed the ten ten videos ! Go Aki!