Skins

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking to purchase my first shamisen. Unfortunately, the one I’m looking at needs the skin on both sides to be repaired, but the price of the instrument itself is hard to pass up. Since, I’ve never played an instrument before making a huge investment into it right now is a little nerve-racking.

I was looking at calf skin as an option, though I’m not sure if the current price listed is for one side or two. Does anyone know? Also, where I live the weather is fairly stable, but I would like to take it to and from school which can be about 10 to 15 degree different in temperature and what-not. So how likely is it to rupture under temperature chance and any other condition? (P.S. I live in California).

And since I will be new and learning how to play, I’m afraid I might rupture it myself as well, and I probably wouldn’t be able to afford to replace it for a long time. (I’m a full time college student with no job… i can’t really afford a lot T^T lol ).

So with those factors I’m starting to look at synthetic skin. I know that it doesn’t sound a good as a natural one or even the FiberSen, but feel like it would endure a beginner and travel a lot more. It would be my best choice, if the price is right? So how much would it cost for two sides and is there any place or one that skins in this material? And lastly, is there anything that would cause this skin to rupture Or anything else that I need to know about this skin and the calf skin?

Okay so really, I’m kind of looking for the cheapest option, since i would like to play it as soon a possible and it would take a while to get the money to get it skinned once I buy it. But i also like to like all my options and what be the best for me.

Thank you~!!!

Hi Andrea,
I’ve been covering my shamisens with calfskin and so far the instrument that I have been travelling with has endured a 3 month solo trip on horseback combined with an additional 2 months of base camping in a climate ranging from rain every day to absolutely bone dry and temps between -10 and 35 degrees C, travelling through Thailand during the cool dry season into the hot season with temps between 2 and and 40, outdoor street playing in Banff during the winter at 2 degrees celsius and a short agonising 10 minute bit at -20 and bloody hell, it was snowing a little as well. And why, just today I was doing a video thing with a friend whilst standing in the middle of a stream in really humid jungle-y Thai forest halfway up a mountain. For what it’s worth, that’s my experience with the calfskin and so far all is fine and dandy.

I guess I should say that I stretched it during the dry wintertime and find that in warm moisture drenched air it doesn’t quite have the same ‘ring’ to it. But I don’t really mind.

Cheers!
Cath

Oh wow, your shamisen has sure seen a lot and I’m surprised and glad the skin held up through out all that. Thank you for your reply, it had helped me see how durable calf skin is. Thank you again.