Synthetic Leather?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I’m from Southern California and I play in a collegiate Taiko group. I’ve seen shamisen from time to time in Taiko performances and I’ve really wanted to start learning how to play. First, I need to get my hands on one.

But of course, I want to find something affordable. Heck, I need something dirt cheap since I can barely pay my rent every month. Most of the money is going to come from selling my bass guitar and some other things. The cheapest one I’ve found so far is this one on ebay for about $200: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shamisen-soft-case-and-Bachi-Japanes-3-string-instrument-hand-made-/320805454611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab17ec313

Of course, there are a lot of red flags here. First of all, this price seems way too good to be true. Second, the seller misspelled “Japanese”. Lastly, he uses terms like “hand made” and “traditional” rather than giving specific information about it.

The only reason I can think of why it’s so cheap is because it’s made with synthetic leather. How would this affect the sound of the shamisen? Would it be so noticeable that even a beginner would be begging for a better shamisen? Also, would I be able to just replace the synthetic leather with real leather in the future?

Before I consider buying it, I’d like to get an opinion from someone who knows more than me. Also, some specific information about it would be nice. From the pics I can only guess that it’s a Nagauta shamisen?

Hi David, welcome aboard!

I think Kyle and some other folks here are definitely better equipped to answer your questions but I took a brief look at the shamisen.
I could well be wrong but the skin on the dou (body) of the shamisen looks like it could be plastic, as it has a shiny appearance in one of the photos. Perhaps this is what the seller means by a synthetic material? I’m not sure if leather is used in the making of a shamisen besides for a strap.

Also the sao (neck) and tenjin (tuning pegs) look to be made from a similar wood. It definitely doesn’t look like kouki, it may be karin but I’m not sure.

I’d probably hold off on this one until you receive some further info. Good luck!

-Matt

Hi David,

My issue with this one would be that the strings look quite metallic, they definately dont look like silk. So you may end up getting it, playing it like a guitar and everything seeming ok, then you try to play it like an actual shamisen and it all goes wrong!
Dont just take my word for it though, people, please help this man make a decision!

L

Hi David,

What timing! I just was talking with a Bachido member about this shamisen, and inquired with the dealer.

…unfortunately, I have to go out now, but I’ll write you about it when I get back! :slight_smile:

Thank you Liam and Matt for your input! I never even thought of those things.

Thank you for replying Kyle. I’ll be eagerly awaiting your opinion :smiley: but feel free to take your time since I’m not going to be able to purchase anything for another 2 weeks or so :wink:

Alright, here we go! :slight_smile:

First, the seller tells me that they are made in China/Korea. With the name shamisen, it is indeed Japanese… just not made in Japan. :wink: That’s how the price can be so low.

I have to say, it’s a great deal for the price. It’s definitely a step up from the kankara. (sanshin made from a can) Some things definitely could be made better. I.e, the width of the itogura (pegbox) is thinner than usual, the kamigoma is tall and made from wood, and yes, the strings aren’t actual shamisen strings. Lastly, it has a super-thick coat of lacquer, which a Bachido member told me about. He bought one and noted that the lacquer was peeling, causing bad sound.

So, there are definite ways it can be improved. It would be great to be able to work with the seller to make more accurate designs, but I can’t exactly tell him what to do right off the bat. (I already did, which was probably a mistake :stuck_out_tongue: ) We’ll see what happens.

Anywho, yes. All of that taken into account, it still seems to be a really, good deal. And including a soft case and bachi? It’s doubtful that a deal this good can be found elsewhere. That said, it’s safe to be prepared for some modifications to be made to the shamisen itself. (sanding down the excess lacquer, getting real strings and bridge)

If anyone has connections to a manufacturing company in China or Korea, or desire to take initiative into having them made there, let me know please. :slight_smile: My designs are accurate for tsugaru shamisen, so working together, we would be able to have really affordable models made.

Hello! I’m reviving the thread to ask a couple of questions. I was looking for a cheap shamisen too and I stumbled upon this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shamisen-withBachi-Japanes-3-string-instrument-hand-made-/390396367615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae56fd2ff It’s from the same seller that David McKnight mentioned on his post before. Looking at the pictures, it sure looks like a Nagauta Shamisen but I’m a little worried about the neck. It seems way too thin (but then again that just may be the usual width). I would really like to learn some tunes on shamisen, but not having it as my main instrument so I want a very basic one. As for the modifications you mentioned, it’s not a problem since I’m pretty experienced with simple luthiery. What do you think?

P.S. Is there any way to see/hear the Level 1 shamisen that’s being sold here in Bachido? Any member who has it, might considering a review?

I find it strange that that shamisen has what seems to be metal strings.

and that shamisen is NOT a Tsugaru Shamisen if anyone thought so…?
it’s definitely a Nagauta Shamisen. And look at the place of the Koma in the picture… odd place in the middle (:smiley: lol) and the neo thingy … whats that word… oh well the Knot on the end of the dou looks a bit weird also.

I have a few concerns to add to Karl’s and Ortjo’s.
Picture three, the back view, is an entirely different instrument.
The tuning pegs on the instrument in the other shots look to be from a Chinese sanxian. And the wrap around doukake is possibly meant for the smaller Okinawan sanshin, which is why it only covers 3/4 of the body.
All that said, it’s not a bad price, and if you get some silk strings for it (and maybe a proper neo [end piece] for the strings), it’s probably not a bad starter instrument if you are just looking to see if the shamisen is something you want to pursue.

I wrote the person who sells them. They are made in China/Korea.

Being that it seemed like a great way to have legit shamisen made cheaply, I offered to give him exact dimensions of a tsugaru shamisen. I may have been too excited in my response and offered too quickly, but I didn’t get a reply. :wink:

Anywho. Still good for the price.

hah you have good eyes Gerry

I bought one from this ebayer and recieved it today, thinking it would be an ok beginners Shami. I would compare it in size to a Hosozao. It definitely needs some changes. The strings were what look like metal-nylon guitar strings, I took them off, first thing. The Neo looks homemade, I’ll need to purchase a new one. It looks like they lacquered after the Dou was skinned, but that really doesn’t matter, and the skin is pretty dirty looking. The Ito-maki they used do look like Sanxian pegs. But, all and all said I think it’s a ok beginners Shamisen, and it was cheap. But then again I have to put more money into it. It goes without saying, you get what you pay for.