Tangerine Dream of Japan?

Anybody know these performers? I wonder which tradition/genre these pieces are from, doesn’t sound like your regular kabuki music…

The group of nagautas sounds somewhat electric, almost like a synthesizer.

Kineie-san seems to have the same piece, “Tanuki” in her repertoaire - but she plays it solo:

This totally reminds me of some of the craziness that Kevin Kmetz gets in on; weird chords, playing with the handle of the bachi, using harmonics.

Nice find. Definitely enjoyed checking these out.

Are they using any special techniques actually, like playing chords? In my untrained ear I thought it’s maybe harmonics…

Speaking of wild stuff and special techniques, bumped into a good video, but think I’ll post that in the Shamicamp thread - Kevin isn’t the only instructor doing something unusual. From what I’ve seen on youtube, playing with the handle isn’t that rare, seen it at least with 3 different high-level players (2 of them japanese and not on tsugaru even).

I think these are actually traditional nagauta pieces (perhaps outside of kabuki?). Kineie san seems to play a few of them, as well a number of nagauta amateurs (?). I need to stop being lazy and dig out my kanji dictionary (the BIG one…) :wink: