The Nagauta Think Tank

Hi everyone! My name is Gabriel, and I’m a new member of the Bachido community.

First let me say how AMAZING it is that this web-community even exists.
I’ve been immersed in traditional Japanese music for a while now. I started playing koto when I was 13 from a teacher who also taught jiuta shamisen and minyo. I always wanted to learn shamisen as well, but at that time (about 13 years ago now) the only way to buy the instrument was to have it imported directly from Japan. As many of you probably remember, this made the cost prohibitive.

Years later, after seeing this thriving online community of shamisen enthusiasts, I decided to take the plunge and purchase a preowned nagauta shamisen from eBay.
I’m so stoked! I plan on having it reskinned for good measure, but other than that it seems that the instrument as a whole is in wonderful condition.

After doing some investigation in the forum, it appears that there are a fair number of people here who, like myself, would like to explore the nagauta style and repertoire. I think it would be nice if we had a place on the forum to exchange resources, sheet music/bunka-fu, useful youtube examples, etc…

My old koto teacher (Garett Ueno of Indianapolis) was an AMAZING source for jiuta/minyo technique, but it looks like you guys are my best hope for nagauta.

Has anyone found tablature for musume dojoji, kanjincho, or maybe kagamijishi?

Hi, Gabriel! I studied nagauta shamisen and singing for more than 30 years in Tokyo. I now live in Kansas. I have a small library of sheet music–the ones you mentioned and many more. (Oh, I noticed you mentioned bunka-fu–most of mine is Kenseikai, written vertically, and another vertical format, Aoyagi. I am not so good at reading bunka-fu myself!) Anyway, feel free to ask me anything. I can do a Skype lesson if you want, or just chat. If you come to Kansas, I have a practice shamisen you can try. I thinking looking for good used instruments on e-bay is a good strategy, although I would feel better if I could see it in person to check the condition. Photos usually don’t let you see everything I would want to check. I am still using ones I purchased from shops in Tokyo–Kameya is great, if you can afford it. Anyway, good luck with your study/practice!

Hi Gabriel, Happy New Year and welcome to Bachido! If you’re looking to buy bunka-fu, in addition to Kameya you can get music and supplies from Chords Canada (http://www.chordscanada.com/).

I also study Nagauta (along with other styles on the side) and our Sensei, Mary Ohno gives lessons via Skype. and can also get sheet music for you. Her website is http://kabukiacademy.org/.

And hello, John! Pleasure to meet another nagauta enthusiast. How long were you studying Tsuzumi for? I’ve been toying with learning some basics so that when our group performs I could do hayashi from time to time.

I studied tsuzumi nearly as long as nagauta–or maybe I should say that I had many more lessons and performances playing the drums than playing the shamisen. Do you have any drums available to practice on? Does your group have a drum section?

Unfortunately no drums. We do have a flutist who sometimes plays a few parts in songs. If I wanted to get a small tsuzumi, where would you recommend getting one?

This is a pretty reasonable price.

Hi Jon Anderson… good to see another fellow Kabuki Academy student on here!

Hi Tina, likewise! Great to see you here.