Tin Tower (Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver)

Well now, here I come from out of the shadows once again! Bwhahaha! Last time I wrote a post it was about figuring out how to play a shamisen version of “Bad Apple!” from the touhou franchise, but this time I’m on a mission to recreate a song that I think rightfully should be played in shamisen.

Of course, the problem is that the song was originally created on Pokemon Gold/Silver way back in the day. I was reminded of this song when I played at a local bar this weekend and thought to myself, “Yeah… that was a neat sounding song. I’m going to try to recreate that.” I’ve actually been pretty successful at most of the first part of the song, however one part is giving me some head-scratching trouble. I was going to send this solely to the big man himself Mr. Kyle Abott, but I figured the community might have some fun with it too.

I will post links to appropriate sources anyone might need, as well as my tabs that I have made so far for the song. I need help on the “chorus” part of the song that slows down in the middle of the song. On a guitar the sound should be: E E - E F F - E F F - E E, but I cant seem to translate that well to shamisen.

Here’s a link to the guitar tabs which shows this in more detail:
http://www.gametabs.net/pokemon-gold-silver/tin-tower

Here’s a link to the song on YouTube for the newest version to give you an idea of how the actually sounds (as my tabs aren’t spaced appropriately for note speed):

Finally, here are my tabs I created, which once again - are not appropriately formatted for the speed at which the notes should be played, but that easy enough to figure out by listening to the song itself. The “??” parts are what I need help on. What notes should be played on our beloved Tsugaru? I was thinking that playing the open 3 strings for for “E’s” but then what should I do for the “F’s”…

An epic quest! (Once again :D) I wish you all luck on this one

@Ortjo Neiminen, thanks good sir!! I wish to press on.

Anyone who might be watching this post. A may have found a way to play the slow “chorus” part I’ve replaced the “??” with the new notes I believe sound relatively close. I still felt the closest thing the E note on the guitar tabs was the open three strings on the shamisen. That said, the F note only being slightly higher in pitch would therefor have to be only a little bit lower on the neck of the shamisen, so I thought why not try straight 1 position on all three after the opens. Any thoughts?

First part of the song is done for now. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Final version of the first part. Sorry it took so long to anyone wanting clean tabs for this.

1 Like

COOL!