Tsugaru in Ireland

Hi everybody,

this is Sid reporting for Bachido from Ireland:

The Music of Asia 2 was great show, despite the terrible rain and unfortunate soccer mach, ireland was playing the spain, we had nice audience. everybody was amazed by the show and got great response and comments.

i spent really nice week with Jack and his crew, went to country for a few days, staying in the caravan on the beach in allihies. weather was unbelievable, sunny all the time. we cooked on fire, climbed the mountains, and played in local pub, drinking with farmers and fisherman…it was just perfect…
we came to cork city to rehearse and play the evening concert. it was lashing rain all the time, so after the sunny camping ,they could experience the real irish weather as well…

to a great help of local guitar maker I got my shamisen fixed in time for concert so could play in duo with Jack playing ringo bushi… we rocked!!!

I also managed to get a camera and have loads of footage, will edit it soon…
there were many nice pictures taken. check some of them out at the venues own webpage!!!

hope to get much more soon…

cheers
kampai
Sláinte

Reporter Sid!

Glad to hear that the lame soccer match didn’t interfere with the show. :wink: Masahiro’s going to Spain today for touring.

Whoa! Sounds like you gave them a great tour around! Just magic that you got your shami back in action in time! :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to see more!!

yeah it was magic, i was lucky that the guitar maker was available and had free time to fix the shamisen in just two days…
it was a bit tricky to play Ringo Bushi with Jack, eventhough i know the song quite well i really had to focus on my part so i would not get lost…

hey guys , i am a bit disappointed that nobody noticed the Irish Tsugaru Shamirock Week here in Cork. It was a magic time, and i cant stop thinking about it, planning the next one already…In july, there is japanese sitar player coming to Ireland, Galway, Co. Clare… there is a seminar about indian ragas… and to support the japanese musician staying over, we are playing couple of concerts…it is going to be great weekend, full of indian music, sitar, sarod and tablas, mixed with shamisen, fujara and anything else…cant wait to learning from those guys…everybody welcome!!!

by the way , tmrw is the midsummer night, we are going to beach to lit the bonfire, the bigger the better…
just checked the weather forecast, it will be raining here…
we could hide in caves, but there will be flooded by high tides,damm so unlucky, need to find somewhere,
perhaps some ruined farm house or castle???

hey guys , i am a bit disappointed that nobody noticed the Irish Tsugaru Shamirock Week here in Cork

Well pardon me that I wasn’t able to attend because my jetpack is on the blink. :wink:

Dude! Kevin’s gotta get out there!! Did you know that he studied Indian raga in college?

I really want to make it out there sometime. Did Jack go on his own money, or was their some arrangement with the Irish government? (or the Japan culture group)

castle???

Next Bachido festival! :smiley:
John Neptune recorded a shakuhachi album in a castle to get natural reverb, I believe. Too much reverb may be a little extreme for the “pang pang pang” of tsugaru shamisen, but it’d be fun to try.

hey guys , i am a bit disappointed that nobody noticed the Irish Tsugaru Shamirock Week here in Cork

Well pardon me that I wasn’t able to attend because my jetpack is on the blink. :wink:

Dude! Kevin’s gotta get out there!! Did you know that he studied Indian raga in college?

I really want to make it out there sometime. Did Jack go on his own money, or was their some arrangement with the Irish government? (or the Japan culture group)

castle???

Next Bachido festival! :smiley:
John Neptune recorded a shakuhachi album in a castle to get natural reverb, I believe. Too much reverb may be a little extreme for the “pang pang pang” of tsugaru shamisen, but it’d be fun to try.

Kevin has studied raga aswell? haha ive been trying to find one who knows it ^.^
ive studied what i could though

Bachido Festival! thats what i want here! Bachido members here in Ireland meeting, learning and jamming together by the fire on the beach!!

Let’s see if we can make it happen next year. There is no doubt more strength/members in the Bachido community than earlier this year when you first proposed the idea. Perhaps it is possible next year if things are submitted on time. Masahiro was looking forward! :slight_smile:

If not could always do england sid? england seems to have more of a base of shamisen players then ireland, But if were going by numbers it would be either japan or america that has most really haha

I’d be up for any… just depends really on money.

well, i live in Ireland and have connections here, so could organize concerts, seminars and other events in here… i know nobody in england, so cant do much there…

hmm, may be right then.

Maybe we can do a joint meet sometime ? entire uk shamisen meet, But as i’m just a yank in sheeps clothing i’m pretty limited here in wales, ill be in wellingborough soon though… so i should be able to get on my feet reletively quickly.

. i know nobody in england, so cant do much there…

Sid, isn’t there a shamisen teacher you know in the UK? Perhaps he has some connections?