Tsugaru Shamisen doukake building and light repairs

Will be making a new doukake and a few other bits out of some old kimono bolts I have.
Found this mitsuori tsugaru shamisen online recently for a grand total of US$394.00 including shipping to UK from Japan. Also came with a Neo, koma, bachi and several other goodies! Will be sending the dou off to Kyle for reskinning in black Hibiki as soon as it arrives.
I believe the sao is made from Shitan wood. Quite liking the wavey pattern the old skin has, so I’ll see if kyle can cut the new skin in a similar fashion. I think i’ll make the doukake out of card, padding, and a nice piece of silk kimono bolt.

1 Like

Pretty good deal you have.
I don’t know a lot about Shamisen, but the wave pattern on the skin usually is from Tsugaru, i think @Kyle_Abbott can handle it pretty good.

1 Like

Thanks for the tag, Brandon!
Ah yes, unfortunately I can’t make the same wave style with Hibiki (long story short, everything works out best when it is cut in a clean, straight line :slight_smile: ). That only looks best with natural skin because the skin is only partially trimmed before sticking it to the sides. Nagauta/jiuta, (even tsugaru skinned by certain craftsmen) and synthetics are trimmed after it’s adhered to the dou.

1 Like