Tuners on a shamisen?

Hi Everyone,

I just got my first Shamisen yesterday! (yay)
I’ve been playing stringed instruments for 15 years now and I’m quite used to tuning 8 to 20 strings before playing. But nothing so far has been as frustrating as trying to get my itomaki to stay where they are supposed to. Note: I am using nylon mono-filament as strings since silk is impossible to get in europe and I don’t want to have to wait for weeks to get new strings if I break some…

So here’s my question/idea. Even though itomaki are by far the coolest looking tuning pegs on the planet, wouldn’t it be possible/better to put planetary violin tuning pegs on it to make everything easier? As an amateur luthier I have the tools and experience needed to make this work probably but I just wanted to know if this is some kind of heresy or if someone has tried putting tuners on their shamisen.

Thanks

I guess as one who simply (eventually) superglued e guitar mechanics into those holes I should say go ahead :slight_smile:

seriously though and I guess it’s a second or third hand instrument you have . . . should it be in overall good condition I would definitely try some more to get the authentic system working (sanding itomakis anew / reaming the holes the right way anew / using violin resin or toothpaste on those itomakis for additional friction or should it be beyond serious repair (with regard to your skills or financing someone else’s skills) as it unfortunately was in my case I would say as a last resort there then is no heresy in doing whatever to make the thing at least somewhat playable :wink:

You could just have guitar tuners on the Shamisen, whilst having pieces of wood attached to look like Itomaki. That’s actually a pretty common thing on Thai instruments like the Seung (the same instrument used in the music video for Lovesong by The Cure). They’ll have fake tuning pegs that look like the old school style, while having backwards facing guitar pegs that actually hold the strings
A lot of Shamisen players often tune while playing and that is something I cannot get used to doing xD

If you look, you can find some folks using guitar style tuning pegs in their shamisen.

Take a look at Reigen Fujii’s electric tsugaru for example.

I see! Thanks a lot guys!

I think I’ll ream the holes and use planetary violin tuners and see if I can stick some wood on top of them to make them look like itomaki.

Well the thing that most resembles itomaki is itomaki itself ! I agree with BH…

Yeah that’s true but my method shouldn’t damage the shamisen at all. It’s an antique instrument found at an old man’s home after he died and his possessions were sold off. The instrument is as new and was taken very good care of. It’s a hosozao style shamisen so I’m trying to be really careful with it.

Ok but why do you want to use violin tuners ? There is something i don’t understand…

These aren’t normal violin tuners, they have a gearing mechanism in them that makes them function like guitar tuners. They aren’t even made of wood :stuck_out_tongue: Very delicate pieces of kit but totally worth it.

Ah ok… But don’t you want to try to improve your itomaki’s efficiency ?

The itomaki are fine. I refitted them as soon as I got the instrument but they are by their very nature inferior to geared tuners. I just want to make my life a bit easier :stuck_out_tongue:

Ha, ha… Ok, I understand !