Tuning for Fue

Does anyone have advice on tuning to match fue/shinobue? Our main fue-ist uses a 6-hon choshi ( B-flat), 7-hon choshi (B) and 8-hon choshi © and I’m trying find a rule of thumb on how to tune my shamisen to match her key to play along with her. Thanks.

You’ll have to retune to her root every time. If she’s using 6, Tune to Bb, if she’s using 7, B and if she’s using 8, C (unless you want to try playing in those scales without tuning - but I wouldn’t do that, I’d retune. I don’t want to have to think that hard when I perform, lol). Hopefully she doesn’t switch out a lot.

P.S. These are western style fue, right? Not Matsuri? (Not that I think it would make much difference, the shamisen is flexible that way).

I guess the better question is, how do I tune a shamisen to match a key? This is a bit of music theory I’m not too knowledgeable of. And yes, it western style. Thanks.

Hi Joel! I always use the ichi no ito as my root note. For example, if the song/fue key is C, I’ll tune the ichi no ito to C and adjust the other two strings accordingly. :slight_smile: