tuning knob broke! anyone know where i can get a set?

title says it all. need a new set anyway, the originals were cheap and plastic. even superglue couldnt save them

Maybe this had to do with the metal strings applying more pressure?

In any case the tuning knobs (itomaki) are custom fit for each shamisen so without luck you’ll have to go to a craftsman and get some, or try and make your own. I think Kyle should give you some advice on this.

I’ll visit a local violin maker / repair shop as for getting those delicate string holes drilled and expect him to do that for a 5 euro tip and that said I am sure someone like that could also do a professional fitting of roughly shaped selfmade itomaki but I want to give this a serious try myself since it does not require buying any expensive tools I would only have use for once a year or so . . .

im sure it was the tension from those cheap metal strings. im amazed i didnt realized how bad they were sooner. i tried superglueing the handle but i think its beyond repair. fortunately i found a tapered round chopstick the perfect size to replace it. i drilled a small hole and…

http://imgur.com/QXOkNwA

seems to work so far but slips a bit. ill rough up the lacquer on it.

an inspirational solution thanks for sharing :slight_smile: I mean that does give confidence that I could possibly come up with usable itomakis myself :slight_smile:

Hi Chris,

Way to Macgyver it! :wink: Certainly a doable short term solution. I’ve tried repairing broken itomaki but the glue has always failed due to so much pressure on the two points of friction.

It is certainly rather easy to make. Basically a tapered hexagonal piece of hardwood (ebony preferably) rounded at one end. A lathe isn’t even necessary (though I’m sure a local woodshop craftsman dude whip one up in a jiffy.